NGD Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster, Ocean Turquoise Rosewood

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by rze99, Jul 20, 2019.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

That's a great guitar, congrats! The one flaw with Jazzmasters seems to be the bridge, which you seem to have discovered right away. Enjoy it, it should serve you well.

rze99 likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congratulations, you have good taste in guitars! Perfect Fender color, second most perfect Fender guitar after the Telecaster :)

It's kinda true, the Achilles heel is the bridge, but I tire of being an offset apologist. If one doesn't like them, cool, more for me :D I find that there is a sweet spot for the saddle heights. Putting a little angle on the intonation screws is a good idea, and it also allows better clearance on the back bridge lip, so you can increase the break angle without the strings touching the plate lip. This little bit of angle will help curb any annoying rattle, but it's only slight, because too much means the screw ends interfere with string vibration. Clear nail polish (nitrocellulose lacquer) is my friend when it comes to this style bridge.

Of course you don't need a shim, the neck pocket is angled. If anything like my Thinskin AV, then it probably has between 2 and 3 degrees pitch, which is more than enough.

The ringing behind the bridge is typical. You can get a Staytrem or Mastery, but guess what? That ringing stays, and in some cases gets louder. The G string is the biggest offender on a Mastery. This is the nature of a trapeze style tailpiece, and its rubber grommet time. I just rest my hand/forearm back there, shifting slightly for palm mutes, which works well for me.

rze99 likes this.
  3. Gretsch_Armstrong

Gretsch_Armstrong Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    county morgue, IE
    ^ This is why I went for a J. Mascis JM this time round. It has a TOM bridge.
    Oddly, it's the only TOM bridge I've ever owned that holds tune after Trem abuse.
    Gorgeous JM BTW.

T Bone likes this.
  4. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Nice guitar, I really want one myself. Color choice is on point. My opinion is nothing beats the Mastery bridge for Fender offsets. I feel like if made a bigger difference for my Jaguar than say the Compton did for my 5420, and that's not to dis the Compton, I love that too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice