NGD - Blue Jazz Cat

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Wayne Gretschzky, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    It reminds me of some of the poster art from late-60s San Francisco, except there would be a topless mermaid on there someplace.

2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Wow. That is spectacular. Such an interesting and organic design working across the layout of the components. Stunning. The f hole has become something new, a reference to an f hole but actually three holes. So clever.
    And great looking woods.
    Personally i am not so crazy about the relationship between the diamond motif and the teardrop holes at either end of the “f” hole. But blimey thats a stunning guitar front and back, top to bottom. Congrats.

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    How long did the build take?

4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    As they say... timing is everything. I made an inquiry early in June, just kicking the tires on how the process would work and what cost might be. They informed me that they were making two of these for the upcoming NAMM (end of July), and that I could have one of those. They offered a 3 payment plan and input on the specs, and that sealed the deal. So I got the guitar 2 weeks after NAMM ended, probably 6-7 weeks total.

claypainter and drmilktruck like this.
  5. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I've been spending the past few days working through the possible tones that this guitar delivers. Thankfully they provide a chart (depicted) of the settings for everything from the Strat to Tele to LP tone, as well as simulation of effects like Fuzz, Phaser, and Wah. Pretty amazing portfolio of sound for an on-board passive electronics system. The circuit is apparently "black-boxed" so that even if you get into the guitar, you can't access the electronics.
    TONEsheet**.jpeg

new6659 and claypainter like this.
  6. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    How cool is that! I love seeing unique guitars like this, and this one has sort of a "future vintage" sort of vibe with sort of a Bigsby-esque design but with super unique appointments. All that AND it has a Mojo knob!!!

Congrats on the beauty new piece!

7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm not a good enough guitarist to know what to do with that! Lots of options though.

8. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Mojo knob set for max!

9. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    HA! Me either... but it's something to aspire to! If I used the criteria of my playing ability to justify what guitars I own, I might not own many!

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's breathtaking!

11. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Man - that cheat sheet seems like it would be super helpful.
    I think something similar would be useful for beginners like myself even with simple guitars.

Cool guitar. I first saw it and was like, "what the hell...."
    Now the more I look at it, I love the vibe and functionality it is throwing around.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Does it have a piezo? I was wondering about that Ovation sound where everything is (almost) turned down?

"Phasing - move the control rapidly back and forth". That cracked me up a little. Does it have Tremolo too? :)

13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was thinking what controls and switches could make a guitar maximally versatile - splittable humbucker, blendable piezo, some onboard effect or two.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Look into the Spin-a-split(which I thought this "Mojo" wiring was), and combine it with a G&L PTB circuit, maybe a Stellartone varitone, modded TBX, or Wilde filter. For passive overdrive look into a modded version of the Black ice, which is a $30 gooped up module containing two Schottky diodes. I suspect this Mojo circuit incorporates at least two of these ideas. :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/king-koa
    From around 2007, I think. And she has a pet dolphin. Now that’s a guitar sure to make a Splash! Sorry for the tangent.

That is one awesome guitar. I have thought about putting a Dusenberg tremolo on my homebuilt Tele one of these days, those are pretty smooth.

Groutsch likes this.
  17. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Here's a short 5 min video where "the creator" (so to speak) discusses and demos the Mojo circuit. That starts around 2:30 in the vid.

Jeff67, Groutsch and drmilktruck like this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s not a Les Trem, Jim.

Groutsch likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Congrats on your new acquisition, Ed. This is something special, indeed.

20. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    So I've been informed a few times... :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice