NGD - Black Phoenix

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TimH, Mar 26, 2020 at 6:55 PM.

1. TimH

TimH Electromatic

Feb 3, 2018
    Ontario
    hey all - I’m new around here but since I got a new Gretsch the other day I figured I’d better post. I’ve always been a far off fan of Gretsch guitars and even owned a few - A Sparkle Jet, 6118 and Electromatic Elliot - but none of them lasted long for one reason or another. I’ve been a gear flipper for over 20 years so I’ve become pretty fussy with particular likes and dislikes and to be honest nothing stays around that long.

My favourite Gretsch’s have always been the Falcons. I think It started with the video for Moneky Wrench by Foo Fighters...the headstock, sparkle binding and bold look just really grabbed me. Anyhow, most Falcon’s I’ve seen for sale here in Canada were more than I wanted to spend.

Recently though this Phoenix went up for sale and it has a lot of cool features I look for. TV Jones, 25.5”, Nitro Finish, pinned bridge and of course that headstock and sparkle binding....and the price was right.

Anyhow, I’m obviously in the honeymoon period but I’m loving it so far. Played through my Matchless C-30 today was just a beautiful tonal experience.

Cheers everyone!

DaddyDog, CatTones, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congratulations on the new phoenix, would love to see pics.

TimH likes this.
  3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome & congrats!
    Yes we’d love to see pics of your Phoenix..

TimH likes this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Beautiful! Congrats!
    Welcome to Club Falcon
    And welcome to GT!

CatTones and TimH like this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
  6. TimH

TimH Electromatic

Feb 3, 2018
    Ontario
    She is. There’s one blemish in the finish near the neck pickup...looks like someone was too sweaty for the nitro...or a sticker damaged the finish. The clear coat is a bit cloudy there but otherwise it’s gorgeous.

Starting to age a bit too...the binding has yellowed in places which is cool. I think I really like that she’s a bit of a rare bird (no pun intended!) and I’m unlikely to run into many more like her...

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    These are beautiful guitars. Mine's a '14, and the lacquer is tinted. The body binding and headstock silver inlays all look "aged."

The truss rod cover on mine is not lacquered, so one can see the difference how it looks compared to the headstock sparkle work.

Enjoy your new Bird.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    TimH likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a beauty. Enjoy and welcome!

TimH likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Beautiful, Congrads and Enjoy

TimH likes this.
  10. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Loved my Black Phoenix. That vertical headstock logo - it’s gorgeous. Ultimately, I sold it to fund another guitar, but I loved the tone, especially the neck pickup. Congrats!

TimH likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, lovely Gretsch. I still own one but soon it will be gone!

TimH likes this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Stunning guitar, congrats!

TimH likes this.
  13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Beautiful and here's a welcome from someone else in Ontario!

TimH likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar . Welcome friend

TimH likes this.
  15. Howdy Tim and welcome aboard. Congratulations. Outstanding guitar and to me, there’s no substitute for cubic inches and TV Jones rounds her out so nicely.

I had a Black Phoenix years ago but alas she moved on, and in fact to a little girl all of 11 or 12 at the time in either Ontario or Quebec, I just don’t recall for sure.

This young lady was the host of a locally generated children’s show and was dressed like a cow girl and used the GreTsch on the show to perform for the audience.

My Phoenix has since been replaced with a Silver Falcon, one of 3 Big Beautiful GreTschs that I’m fortunate enough to enjoy at the moment. Like others, I am thinning the heard and one of the variants of my keepers list includes this beast. Time will tell.

TimH likes this.
  16. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    Gorgeous, and Like Calebaaron666 said
    Welcome to the Falcon Club !!!

TimH likes this.
  17. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Welcome and please will you all stop it
    This is the one more that I want to add and you guys are killing me :p

TimH likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice