NGD Black Phoenix Jan 13, 2020

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rcboals, Feb 21, 2020.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Late report I bought this from Corners Music in Nashville it is new never sold been in their store since December 2014. They had it for the last five years. I got what I think was a very good price for a new guitar with the warranty. I left for five weeks to Hawaii and didn't see it until I got back home on February 13, thus the late report. I did a complete setup, it needed a truss rod adjustment and it plays wonderful. It is absolutely like new and I am very pleased with it. I think I really like the simple control of a three way switch and one volume control. I pretty much ran my white Falcon controls wide open and just used the master volume. If I really need to adjust the tone I can do it with my EQ pedal and/or the amp. WHY DOES GRETSCH PUT THE SAME $3.00 JUNKY RATTLEMATIC LOW QUALITY BRIDGE ON THEIR HIGH END GUITARS????? THAT THEY PUT ON THEIR CHEAPEST GUITARS? :( I replaced it immediately with a Gotoh 103B Nashville my favorite bridge of bridges, less than $25.00 shipped retail all day long. Gretsch could probably get them for $10.00 or less. I am off to Lake Havasu City, AZ for two months with the travel trailer. So, far I am loving not working anymore. Taking my RCB Twangmaster telecaster, my ukulele and Mark Little Jazz amp. Pics included with this post. You know what a Black Phoenix looks like, so just a couple pics.

Attached Files:

Stonepicking, GlenP, new6659 and 13 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, the Phoenix is one the most aesthetically pleasing guitars I’ve ever seen.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I would say welcome back but you’re heading out again. Hopefully you can take the Phoenix on this trip.

I love the black and silver combo on these. That’s nice looking Ukulele too. Enjoy!

4. Congrats on not working. Nice axe! I like one knob as well. Black is always classic, and goes with every piece of clothing i own.

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    FOR THE SAME REASON THEY DON'T INSTALL A JACK PLATE OR INCLUDE A CASE WITH EVERY GUITAR AT THE FACTORY .....
    That's right ... we said it Raye

audept, Waxhead, MKunie and 2 others like this.
  6. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Congrats, sleek and classy looking. Dig it! While I have guitars with tone knobs, I also like the simplicity of a volume only setup. Pure.

I’m in the process of replacing the stock bridge with a Serpentune. It’s in transit, because the bridge on my Hot Rod just started to buzz n rattle.

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats on a beautiful git, and not working.

Enjoy it all.

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Should be easier to stay in touch while in AZ, so I will be around lurking. This year I didn't take a guitar to Hawaii like I usually do. I decided to take my Uke which got played maybe twice a year at home. I decided I would learn to play all my hillbilly, country, rockabilly, praise songs on it. After about a week it was sounding pretty decent even the solos. Took some getting used to the teeny tiny frets and adjusting to make clear clean chords still working on that. I now understand why my idol George Harrison loved the uke.

Merc likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That is a true dream-guitar. Congrats!

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
  11. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    That's purdy! Congrats!

12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I agree. That stock bridge is a laughable POS IMO.

I instantly replaced mine with a Tru-Arc SS Serpentune. Outstanding bridge.

Right now I have a regular ST-95 in SS. Just a personal preference thing, but the ST-95 is staying on.

Either one takes this beauty to the "correct" playing level compared to the OEM unit.

20191107_122833.jpg 20200212_114521.jpg

audept, Waxhead, MKunie and 1 other person like this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats RC!

I've been thinking about trading mine for a 59LTV white Falcon,but of course me being a lazy bugger i still haven't swapped out that POS bridge,maybe if i did i would keep it!

But i'll probably still have it this time next year,and still wearing that POS bridge!:rolleyes::oops:

14. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Is there any difference between a Phoenix and a Falcon other than mud switch and extra knobs? Are the necks the same?

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Phoenix has a 9.5” radius. It’s about the only criticism I have apart from the acoustic tone which seems a bit stiff ish.

JC higgy and G5422T like this.
  16. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Medium frets too.

JC higgy, MKunie and Ricochet like this.
  17. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Is that 9.5 to 12 or all 9.5?

18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have an older one that is 9.5 all around. Don’t know about later models though.

JC higgy and G5422T like this.
  19. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Mine's a '14 and it's 9.5" all the way up.

Acoustically IMO, it's the same as a trestle braced Falcon. A tighter sound than a sound post model.

Tone wise, the Hot Rod wiring seems to make the TV Classics a little louder.

Classy guitars with the black lacquer and silver sparkle binding.

Sounds like you're thinking??

Parttime and Ricochet like this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Also the newer ones have TV Jones BS sig filtertrons.

G5422T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice