NGD (Again)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Rob_Brindley, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    So, my Dad's done it again... Ebay hunting and stumbled across this stunning 04 6120DSW... Picked it up for £1400. We'll be heading down to Essex to pick it up on Saturday :) Serial No. JT04010447 - I'd be interested to know any info if anybody has anything :) Looking forward to playing it this weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waxhead, Pete66, blueruins and 10 others like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s a mighty fine instrument at an incredible price. Congrats.

Rob_Brindley likes this.
  3. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Absolutely! To be honest, I was looking at a DSW myself last week that was a bit more expensive and decided against it. Fortunately my Dad has great taste in guitars and a good eye for a bargain! The only thing I'm not sure about is the fixed arm Bigsby? I'm guessing the previous owner has added it after

loudnlousy likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    NGD again ?? KNOCK IT OFF !! .....lol just kiddin' :p Congrats Rob , she's a beauty

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Great price on a great geet,congrats Rob,or should that be congrats to your dad!;)

Aye,the fixed arm was added later,as was the clear guard.Bigsby looks anodized in those pics.
    04 was before Chet's name returned too(2007 i think that was)

6. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Hah, it's funny how many of his guitars actually end up living at my house... He enjoys collecting them, plays every now and then, but he enjoys seeing my play them regularly when I'm gigging with Ignition. Am I right in thinking this would have had the gold 'Nashville' scratch plate on it originally then?

And yes, I think the Bigsby is anodized - I'm not complaining, we have a few spare Bigsby's around if we want to go back to the original set up and the anodized fixed arms aren't cheap either! We'll see how we get on with it

JC higgy likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Yes,Nashville guard for these .

8. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    Congratulations n enjoy

9. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    So, we picked up the DSW yesterday - what a beaut! This is probably one of the nicest playing Gretsch's I've ever played. The set-up is killer; super low with absolutely no buzz. She's been a case queen for a long time as the previous owner has been playing other guitars so she's in need of a proper clean, but this thing really does sound awesome. I was curious to see how close she sounded to the 6120DE that we have, but they're an absolute mile apart... This guitar has a real bite to it. The bridge pickup is super sharp - great for cutting through on the lead breaks. The neck pick is very warm and mellow, but with enough treble in the to still give you that sparkle when you want it. With the DE, I find that I really have to dig in to get the most out of it... It's a killer sounded guitar, my favourite infact, but I really have to work hard to get the response I'm looking for. This DSW is so easy to play, it's effortless... I'm wondering if the Tru-Arc Bridge on the DE is stopping the strings from ringing like they do on the DSW with the Compton? We've got a lot of gigs coming up over the next few weeks and I think this one is going to be used a lot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

speedicut, audept, Pete66 and 7 others like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congratulations, nice find!

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The fingerboard could do with the drink by the look of it! Or is it just light coloured?

12. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    It's VERY light in colour. The first thing we did when we got it back yesterday was take the strings off, lemon oil the fretboard and fresh trings on :)

JC higgy likes this.
  13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Congratulations on the new guitar! I am glad you are keen on it.

Just for your information, that bridge is a Bigsby bridge, not a Compton. You could always just slip it out and put it on the DE to see if it makes a difference.

LongJohn and CatTones like this.
  14. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Doh! I'll definitely give it a try and see if it makes much of a difference :)

15. Pete66

Pete66 Gretschie

Nov 18, 2015
    Wyre and Fylde
    If you don't get on with the fixed arm and, ever think of selling it, please let me know!

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great score, congrats!

17. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Congrats on a beauty!
    I have one and it does play easily..
    My fret board is very light colored as well but it doesn't seem dry. It also squeaks when I play, I wonder if the previous owner used something on it?

MKunie likes this.
  18. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Stunner, well done

19. Rob_Brindley

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Will do, but I'm sure we'll get on with it fine :) We already have a fixed arm on a Cochran model

Maybe it's just something with this model from this time period?

20. Pete66

Pete66 Gretschie

Nov 18, 2015
    Wyre and Fylde
    2018-01-20 23.55.57.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    MKunie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice