NGD - 6131 Power Jet Firebird

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Leftovermatt, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Leftovermatt

Leftovermatt Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Tacoma, wa
    318B5582-8723-4BC6-B5FB-80F07498C3D9.jpeg D106D7AD-9376-4461-B818-4CF31F3AFAF7.jpeg I’ve had my black 6120 for about 6 years now, and for a while I’ve been wanting a jet to complement it. I have tried the electromatics, but couldn’t get along with them. I recently sold my Mesa Boogie dual rectifier and 2x12 cab so I hunted around and got a great deal on a 2009 Power Jet firebird. I like how light it is. A comfortable guitar to sit on the couch with. Nice and resonant. Once I cleaned and polished it, oiled the fretboard, and changed the strings it was good to go. Going to feel out the pickups for a while before I decide if they need a change, I have the setzer sig in my 6120 and like them, but wouldn’t mind some t-armonds down the road. The nice hung is that it was built within a year of my 6120 in the same factory, so the necks are very similar. I love the neck on my 6120, probably the nicest I’ve ever played.

stiv, Phil Rose, Ando and 11 others like this.
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Very nice, congrats!

3. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful! Congrats on a great guitar. Enjoy!

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I love the Firebirds. Oriental Red is such a classic color!

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Congrats on the new acquisition. PowerJets are lovely guitars -- mine is all stock. The Powertrons take a little getting used to, but are very responsive while whilst providing just a wee bit more compression than TVJ Classics.

Enjoy!

Leftovermatt likes this.
  6. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Gorgeous, congrats!

7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Very beautiful Jet, congretschulations!

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Classy geet that,congrats!:cool:

9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Never thought of owning a Jet until after I had Gretsch hollow bodies. My 6129 is currently one of my favorite guitars.

That red is really a stunner, enjoy this guitar, it is unique and not something everyone on the block has!

Leftovermatt likes this.
  10. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Beauty, congrats

11. Leftovermatt

Leftovermatt Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Tacoma, wa
    I like the red, and I like that the back is painted black. I was looking at caddy green and black as well, but I decided I prefer the whole guitar painted. Not a big fan of the painted top with clear/stain on the back. I saw some sparkle jets but the sparkle is just a bit too much for me. Then this one came up at a great price on reverb I and decided to make an offer and landed it. It was originally a g-cutout tailpiece and someone swapped it for a B3.

T Bone likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    What a nice guitar!
    I am sure that you will love the pickups, too.
    These are a blend of a Filtertron and a PAF, somehow. Punchy and clear with a twang.
    They sound very nice when overdriven/lightly crunched.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looking good, congrats!

14. rytar

rytar Gretschie

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Congrats! I have one as well (pic obviously) and would echo Stencil's comments about the pups. I added a Titanium compton and feel that ups it's game for me. I also feel it was built for my Mesa MK 5/25. Other tubes have not showcased it's diversity the way this amp does imo. Enjoy!

15. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Beaut Jet!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

16. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Congratulations. That’s a great lookin specimen. Beauty.

17. Leftovermatt

Leftovermatt Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Tacoma, wa
    Thanks all. I’m really enjoying it, kind of wishing I’d taken the plunge sooner!

T Bone likes this.
  18. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Electromatic

Sep 28, 2018
    New Zealand
    Nice firebird dude! I just picked one up myself (a 2014 - got it for a steal) and LOVE it. I didn't think much of the Powertrons though, so I tried some standard HS Filtertrons in it and that gave me the tone I was looking for. Interestingly, as standard it's a Powertron in the neck and powertron plus in the bridge.

19. Leftovermatt

Leftovermatt Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Tacoma, wa
    I’m still really enjoying it. Play it every night, can’t remember when I last touched another guitar. Don’t get to plug it in as much as I’d like between work and two young kids, but I think the pickups sound good with the atomic brain into my princeton without an overdrive pedal. They crunch up real easy. Not a huge fan of how they sound with my OCD pedal engaged though, I think the setzer pickup in my 6120 sounds better dirty, you can hear the individual strings a lot better. I may end up swapping the pickups eventually, but need to mess with my amp settings some more before I decide to go that way. I’d probably go the T-armonds in a filtertron route though.

Phil Rose likes this.