NGD – G5220 Dark Cherry

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Benturner83, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Hello gang,

Just taken delivery of a beautiful G5220.

A couple of firsts for me today. One, my first Electromatic. Wow. The build and feel of this guitar is incredible. I can't believe what Gretsch are doing at this price range. If the retail price was double I don't think many people would complain. Of course, my 6118T Annie is a step up but it's not a million miles away at all.

Two, my first time buying a second-hand guitar. I've been lucky enough to get all my other guitars fresh off the shelf but I saw this at half, yes, HALF the retail price and that doesn't happen much over here in the UK. It's in almost mint condition. Has been played for about 3 hours apparently and only shows the smallest signs of buckle rash on the back. Otherwise, it's perfect. Bargain.

A few pictures below because I bet you've never seen one of these before! ;)

Gretsch-G5220BT-1.jpg Gretsch-G5220BT-2.jpg Gretsch-G5220BT-3.jpg Gretsch-G5220BT-4.jpg Gretsch-G5220BT-7.jpg

Jena, dak55, Centaur_Block and 13 others like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Those are such nice looking and playing guitars. Congrats!

Benturner83 likes this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Such a pretty finish....Big congrats!!

Benturner83 likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Fabulous guitars with a price tag that makes them even sweeter. Enjoy!

Benturner83 likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that's a beauty!

Benturner83 likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The G5220 Dark Cherry Metallic is probably turning to be one of the best sellers Jets... Here's mine, somewhat modded. ;)

[​IMG]

Congratulations for your new instrument, Benturner83 !

A+!

jfassett, Jena, blueruins and 2 others like this.
  7. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Congratulations. Great looking and playing.

Benturner83 likes this.
  8. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Great find Ben (or should I say steal?). I love mine(see avatar). Also very slightly used but no signs thereof. Only $100 off though so not the deal you got.
    Enjoy.

Benturner83 likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats,those are indeed ,cool geets!:cool:

Benturner83 likes this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats Ben! I think that Dark Cherry is the best color on those 5220's.

Benturner83 likes this.
  11. BeaUtiful . . . deserves a song, maybe . . . (?)
    The Byrds . . . "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Benturner83 likes this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great guitar, my favorite of all the Electromatic Jets. Congrats and enjoy!

Benturner83 likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gorgeous guitar.

Benturner83 likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's it !! .......... I have to get one of these . Beautiful guitar , enjoy

blueruins and Benturner83 like this.
  15. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Haha, do it, do it, do it!

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Beautiful! I love that color. Enjoy.

Benturner83 likes this.
  17. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    What pick ups do you have in there? Looks like the dual coil super hilo’trons. I have one of those in my 5620t and I LOVE it. So I’ve been thinking they might sound good in a Jet. If that’s what they are, how does it sound?

Jena and hcsterg like this.
  18. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Stunning guitar, man! You found a keeper for a bargain. Gotta love that.

Benturner83 likes this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exact collama : these pickups are Dual Coil Super HiloTrons (DC SHT) neck and bridge. I bought them from a G-T member (sorry I don't instant recall him :oops: but thank you Guy ;) !)

I wish that Gretsch edited the G5620T in LH, but ashamingly the never did that... :mad::(

The G5220 Jet can accept BroadTrons (her original PUs), BT65, and with a swap of bezels, HS FT, BT FT, TVJ, DC SHT. This is a great and welcome polyvalence... :cool:

The BroadTron pickups are excellent : they have That Great Gretsch Sound but with a high and clear output, nothing to do with a PAF humbucker sound. Think a "large and powerful" HS FT, if I can say so.

For my personal use, and compared to my other guitars, the output of the BroadTron seemed too high though. Having on hand a BT FT and a DC SHT sets and no HS FT set at the moment, I opted for the smoothness, brightness and reduced output of the DC SHT, these pickups being humbuckers intended to sound like a deep single coil pickup, and that's true...

If you love the tone of your neck DC SHT of your G5620, you'll love it also in a Jet. You will retrieve that blend of warmth, brightness and harmonics, once the pickup height set up properly though. Here's where I came on my G5220LH :

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's rather close to the strings, and it is somewhat critical. The adjustment window is narrow : one or at max two turns of height screw and it's all done or all lost. You go from poor, dull to lively and sensitive.

That said, I plan to acquire a set of HS FT to offer a different tone flavor option, but no hurry : the DC SHT are all right for Soul, Funk, Blues and Rhythm'n'Blues and also offers Rock tones if needed with a convenient overdrive or distortion pedal.

Like the BT FT at their introduction, the DC SHT are somewhat discarded : they deserve better IMHO.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Jena, new6659 and collama like this.
  20. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks. This might be my next guitar - a used jet with the DCSHTs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice