Next Project?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Jul 9, 2019.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've had my eye on this for a while. Think I'll pull the trigger and get myself an after-summer project.

https://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-triton-kit/

What's your next amp project?

Lionpotato, drmilktruck and Ricochet like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Seems a nice enough kit. I would love to build one, but my eyesight makes soldering a challenge. Think I’ll stick to changing speakers. :) Looking forward to the build thread!

drmilktruck and pmac11 like this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I hear that. I just built a 20W solid state amp from a PCB kit, had to source all the other components, and then solder things together. There were a few times I could have used one of those magnifying headsets. Those PCBs are tiny! I'll be glad to work on something larger.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Ricochet likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I bought a very rare vintage Reußenzehn amp recently. Technically it seems to be fine but the exterior is so incredibly ugly that I have to do something about it. Helpfully I got a friend that can support me. I will post the results in a seperate thread, friends.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A friend gave me an odd old 16" record player, it plays at a real slow speed too and i guess it was used at meetings and lectures. Needless to say, its useless as a record player but it is a great looking tweed cab with some cool art deco trim and its a tube amp also so turning it into a little amp would be rad.
    I'll post pics later.

pmac11, Lionpotato and loudnlousy like this.
  6. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    That looks like a great kit to build!

pmac11 likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Well, here it is.....The Illustravox!!! 20190710_175245.jpg 20190710_175256.jpg 20190710_175342.jpg 20190710_175448.jpg 20190710_175527.jpg 20190710_175603.jpg did i mention the built in slide projector:D

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    16RPM turntables are for 30 minute per side transcription discs. They go back to WWII, and were used by Armed Forces radio for a variety of uses. We transcribed sermons onto 1 hour carts (giant 8 track) for Sunday AMs at the radio station I worked at in the '70s. It ought to work OK for you. There should be an RCA jack to make it easy to plug into. There just might be an impedance mismatch, tho. Look into a grounded AC cable and look at the "death cap" as well, just for safety's sake.

Pretty cool looking unit! Made in Fort Wayne, IN, by Magnavox, and you even got a filmstrip PJ with it. I used those often during grade school in the '50s. I doubt you'll find filmstrips to use with it. You'd advance the film by hand when you heard a tone/bell on the record that went with it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    wildeman and pmac11 like this.
  9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I remember those records and film strips from primary school. Haven't thought of those for quite a while!

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It fires up and doesn't make a bunch of noise so i figure i can just find the wires from the record player and cut in a jack if there isn't one already.
    I haven't really messed with it much.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was the AV kid at school ever since second grade. Got my own 16mm projector when I was 7 for a Christmas gift. My Dad did 16mm home movies, later 8mm, as he picked it up from the gun cameras on his B17 in the war. Being a curious kid, I picked it up from him. I wound up retiring as a projectionist/stagehand doing what I learned as a little kid.

pmac11 and wildeman like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    wildeman likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, i think theres a tweed Champ hiding in it.

Merc likes this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    This thread reminds me that I need to start browsing old luggage. I’ve wanted to make a suitcase pedalboard for some time like below. Just got to find the right candidate and size.

8DD169FC-C60A-4C31-80DE-BCBB185489DF.jpeg

audept and pmac11 like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Have pedals, will travel"

Merc and pmac11 like this.
  16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Does that make one a peddlar?

Merc and audept like this.
  17. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Newbie

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Love the the pedal board. It would go with the amp I built. Amp is a Mod102 kit I purchased from Amplified Parts and the suitcase is 50s vintage Samsonite. It was a lot of fun to build.

Front Angle View Reduced.png

Full Inside Reduced.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice