Newbie in the house. Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by EchoTwang, Jul 13, 2018.

1. EchoTwang

EchoTwang Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Hi, everyone! I’ve been a casual lurker for a bit now and I decided recently to sign up. One of the things I’ve noticed about this place is that everybody seems friendly, unlike some of the other forums out there, where people seem to argue, disagree and insult as a profession. I don’t have much time for that scene.

I first played a Gretsch(and a sweet one!) back in the mid 90’s when I was taking guitar lessons. My teacher had a Orange 6120 Chet Atkins, I know it was vintage, I’m assuming it would have been late 50’s/early 60’s. She would let me play it all the time.

As I grew up, I got heavy into the blues and Strat’s and I currently only have 1 Parts Strat. I put it together and it gets the job done, but I’m hoping to save for a 5420. Proline is a little out of my league financially for the foreseeable future, but I’d love to own one someday. I’ve been listening to Setzer and a lot of 50’s rock lately, so now I’m craving that Gretsch sound!

2. EchoTwang

EchoTwang Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks Tavo! Your enthusiasm is one of the reasons I joined here. I actually bought a Ubangi Stomp from you recently (killer!) and I picked up a used Atomic Brain a couple weeks ago as well. I’m hoping to buy a JR Barnyard from you by Christmas!

That ‘81 Stray Cats Rockpalast show has been in heavy rotation at my place lately and it’s got me Gretsch hooked!

3. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Hi and welcome to G-T ! 5420 is a great guitar, as is a 5422. And I agree that this is one forum that (almost) always displays genuine friendliness and common courtesy. Bunch of very friendly folks around here and most are willing to share experiences, knowledge, and technique - all you have to do is ask!
    Keep us posted on how your search goes for a Gretsch, and best of luck.

cheers

EchoTwang likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hello friend and welcome to the friendliest forum on the planet

EchoTwang likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretsch-talk!

EchoTwang likes this.
  6. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Yup. This is the best forum I've stumbled onto.

Welcome and enjoy.

Russ

EchoTwang and Limuz like this.
  7. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Welcome to Gretsch Talk! Just like russmack above me says, this is one of the best and friendliest guitar forums I've stumbled upon.

If you're looking for that great Gretsch sound, a 5420 will do great. The 5120 line is great also, they just need a little modding to get it to sound jussssssst right. Good luck!

EchoTwang likes this.
  8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Welcome! 5420 is a great 1st Gretsch, hope you achieve it soon.

EchoTwang likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
  11. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Echo Twang!

When I found this forum, I noticed the friendliness, too. I've been here long enough to see that the folks here are very helpful with tips, suggestions, and with sharing their excitement for playing. BTW, we're all really good at enabling the buying of another Gretsch guitar, too. :D

I have a 5420 (as do many others), and I can say that it's a great guitar, with plenty of that "Great Gretsch Sound," so if you have any questions, just ask away.

EchoTwang and Flouswa like this.
  13. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Welcome the guitar you're after has many fans around here. I'm sure they can't wait to tell you!

EchoTwang likes this.
  14. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

Welcome! Great bunch of folks here, I've not been here long myself, but I feel very at home. Good luck with getting your Gretsch, they are great guitars.

larryb and EchoTwang like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  16. Oldfingers

Oldfingers Gretschie

Nov 2, 2015
    Brainerd, MN
    Welcome to Gretsch-talk!

EchoTwang likes this.
  17. EchoTwang

EchoTwang Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! Yeah, I’m not sure how soon I’ll have that 5420, but it’s on my list. I’m gonna start saving.

I’ve got a great assortment of pedals(including a couple Nocturnes) and a early SF/BF circuit Super Reverb, so I got that part down. Just need me that 5420. :D

18. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Synchromatic

Aug 23, 2008
    chasing the dragon
    Not all of us are friendly, dammit. Now get off my lawn!

ishtar, MikeyUK, section2 and 3 others like this.
  19. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    Welcome Echo! 5420s are fantastic. Just keep saving away- it will be in your hands in no time.
    I too am a sucker for the look and feel of hollowbodies, but don't sleep on the Jets. A gretsch pro jet is an excellent guitar that delivers great gretsch sound at an even more affordable price.

EchoTwang likes this.