New wiring?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Limuz, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I'm looking to rewire my entire guitar, currently it's botched together with all sorts of wires and most of them have gotten too worn out to resolder. Local home improvement store has lots and lots of wires. Would something like this work? I bet it does, but I'd like your approval...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    LOL, I suppose it could work except you don’t want all that weight tugging on your solder connections.

Just get some Belden cable in an audio/video/electronics store.

Limuz and audept like this.
  3. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I’d stay in the range of 22-26 gauge stranded/shielded, and not more than two conductors.

Where I am, it’s harder to find something you can just pick up same day now that Radio Shack’s gone (is there a Radio Shack equivalent in the Netherlands?). If I want something right away, Home Depot sells 22/2 stranded “security cable” with a foil shield by the foot for about 20 cents per foot. It works fine. They sell it online, too.

Hard to find Belden in-store and/or at a low price for small quantities. You’ll probably need to find it online. Often sold as “microphone cable.” Belden Brilliance 8451 has two 22 gauge conductors, with a foil shield/stranded bare wire lead. Great for guitar harnesses. TV Jones sells the gray jacket version of this by the foot, albeit at a higher price. You can also get it bulk from places like Parts Express.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Limuz likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Since you’re in the Netherlands. I got a roll of Belden mini coax at Conrads but they stopped carrying Belden. I’d send you some, but won’t be home for months.

Banzai or Rockinger in Germany, and Tone factory in NL have guitar wire, though it might not be Belden.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice