New vs. 'old' models?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by snakestretcher, Feb 10, 2019.

1. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Has anyone had a chance to a/b the recent 'upgraded' Streamliners against the original releases yet? As far as I can tell the 'upgrades' amount to some new colours, a laurel fretboard (hardly an upgrade from rosewood), tortoiseshell pickguard, black knobs instead of amber and tweaked pickups, although Gretsch don't tell us in what way. For this I'm being asked to pay nearly £100 more here in England depending on the model so, in view of the less than impressive upgrades, why would I be any better off? New 2420 £419, 'old' 2420 £325 (at Peach Guitars).
    I'm not trying to be provocative, just curious.
    http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/semi-acoustic/?brand_0=gretsch

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I haven’t played either. Aesthetics aside, the bigger question for you sounds as if the pickup sound might answer it for you. YouTube Gretsch NAMM 2019 and you’ll see a few talking about Streamliners. I can’t remember if they tightened the bottom end in sound but know they changed the windings of the pickups.

Is the Peach guitars or other retailer within driving distance to try both and decide for yourself? Also, if $100 lbs (sorry, no pound symbol) is a lot for you, maybe the old one might be better fit and you can put the $100 saved towards bills or save towards other gear. Either way best of luck in deciding.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I haven't A/B'd them. On paper, the changes aren't enough for me to pick new models over old. Although I replaced the Broad'Trons in my G2655 with FTs, I still like the BTs. New vs second-hand price difference would drive me towards the new one with the extra money for upgrades.

I second the recommendation to A/B then in person, if possible.

Merc likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I cannot imagine any reason for paying 30% more on the new model. Streamliners are o.k. guitars.

Merc likes this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I can't validate the 30% increase either. My guess is with Electromatics having to remain under a certain price point, the revenue stream has to remain steady so an increase has to come from somewhere that has some price increase "wiggle room".