New tuners for ‘62 Tennessean.

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Otisorange, May 22, 2019.

1. Otisorange

Otisorange Electromatic

Mar 20, 2015
    Buxton
    CD16EC69-81F5-4125-81D3-3DD07E3255F3.jpeg 75B4D548-164E-4A2F-8E97-62EA647D0076.jpeg I’m needing to replace the tuners on my ‘62 tenny and ordered some V98 Grover statites. These are too long. Does anybody know the correct ones to buy?
    As ever, many thanks in advance. The originals are the top one in the first photo, and the right one in the bottom photo.

2. afire

afire Country Gent

There is no real drop in replacement for the original Waverly tuners. Grover Sta-Tites are the most common replacement. You can get by using the original screw holes, just barely. But you have to ream out the shaft holes. I wasn't aware of the shaft length difference, but they're close enough that Gretsch uses them on the reissues. If you go to Stewmac, they have dimension drawings of most of the tuners, including shaft length and diameters, screw holes distance and position relative to shaft. Something there might get you closer. Here are a couple to check out.

These might be a little better fit (but the price...):
    https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...th_Vintage_Oval_Knobs_for_Solid_Pegheads.html

Or maybe these, though I think the hole spacing might be a little off.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...lden_Age_Restoration_Guitar_Tuners_3and3.html

But there are others. I once replaced the tuners on a vintage Gretsch with Grover Sta-Tites. They worked, but I didn't like drilling out the holes. Since then, I've always just hunted down originals in better condition. What's the problem you're having with yours?

3. Otisorange

Otisorange Electromatic

Mar 20, 2015
    Buxton
    A couple of the shafts to the buttons are bent slightly. Getting exact tuning is difficult as the mechanisms don’t turn freely or evenly.

4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    For the real thing, try Blackrider in Tennessee.

5. afire

afire Country Gent

It kind of seems like the luck of the draw with these tuners. Most I've had have been fine. I had a very low mileage Duo Jet with them once and they looked practically new, no significant wear to the gears, but they were very unpleasant to use. I replaced them with a beat up set of mismatched chrome and nickel ones and they worked flawlessly.

There are always some on eBay. If you search for vintage Gretsch tuners, vintage Harmony tuners, vintage Waverly tuners, and vintage Martin tuners you'll find a number of sets and singles. But most are nickel, not chrome like Gretsch used. If some, but not all of yours work okay, then this might be a good option"
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/61-vintage...117856?hash=item3b31b68da0:g:ZoEAAOSwczNc4ge7
    They're chrome and since it's not a totally complete set, it'll probably go fairly cheap.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Otisorange

Otisorange Electromatic

Mar 20, 2015
    Buxton
    Thanks for that pointer. I’m bidding as we speak.

7. afire

afire Country Gent

You got this. Those tuners are yours.
    [​IMG]

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice