New TopHat in the house!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by roadjunkie, Sep 25, 2008.

1. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Oh yeah! 17 inch reverb can in this head! I gotta pic of that one too!

2. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    You know Fred Astaire and Abe Lincoln used to wear Top Hats. I wonder why they went out of style?

3. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Maybe that's why Brian went to an art deco look with his new amps! Trying to bring back the glam of the 30's

4. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    That'd be cool. I own every single Fred Astaire movie ever made, pre-1960's. I mean, I don't own towering inferno or anything like that. Those days, minus the great depression and WWII that soon followed, were certainly golden ages in Hollywood and the style of clothing was way above today's par.

5. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I used to go out with a girl who was madly in love with anythin Bing Crosby did!

OTOH if this sounds that much better then it did the last Jersey gig I'm bringing it! I wasn't planning to but damn that thing was running cold!

6. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    RJ, bring it! Also, I am also a HUGE Bing fan. Bing and Fred went together like peanut butter and jelly. A great combo and their movies were 1st rate. I also loved his road to movies with Bob Hope, which I'm sure you've seen with a fanatical crazy ex that loved Bing!?!

7. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    She sang at my mother's services last year. The girl can floor you with those pipes!

What a difference a good ole' bias makes! I put her back together and she sounds like a completely different amp. There's a serious punch that was completely missing! I set the bias between 38 and 39 both were a whole lot closer at being 1 ma apart. The short bottle TADS are supposed to grind alittle earlier then the 5881's. I'll crank her good tomorrow!

8. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
    I love the short bottle TAD 6L6's. I had them in my Silvertone 1484 and absolutely loved them...

9. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I shot off an email to Brian Gerhart earlier this week. I had some concerns because my plate voltage was running lower then recommended. I was showing about 400 volts and it was supposed to be in the area of 430 to 450. He said no problems but I have to get a code off the PT and mail it back to him. So is all is right in the world! Well somewhat but I won't go there! As it sits the amp sounds great! I thought it was great before but it really cooks now. The eq is so much more interactive then it was. The sweep on the mids allows you to dial in so much. As much as I like this amp I was really starting to miss the Club Deluxe. I still miss it but now not as much!

10. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Where's the pictures?

11. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Read the disclaimer stated earlier!

12. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I'd be raising hell with the mad fairies!:)

13. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I'm mad about a lot of things but try not to be an angry person! Really!

14. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Hate digging up old threads but.....

Not mine but I finally came up with a good picture of an Ambassador 50. BTW the one in this pic just came up for sale on the TopHat Forum. Both pcs. 1800

Attached Files:

15. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Wow Rj that looks awesome. I really really like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice