Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New to Gretsch

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So I have a Broadway Jade Penguin and although I do have some pedals I have never tried it through them. I figure it is time to correct that. I only have a few carbon copy delay, RC Booster, LTD sr, mini Qtron and my latest is a jangle box Byrds. I am most excited to try the Jangle Box . Any experience here with any of these. I'm traveling again so it will be a week before I can give any a shot. Thanks

Oh one other question the moogerfoogers seem interesting but expensive are they worth the cost?

2. Zeke

Zeke Gretschie

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    I have no experience with those pedals in particular, but I have learned that with a Gretsch you need to start all over with your pedal settings. Usually your usual settings are not optimum, so set everything to whatever is midway and start hunting for your new tones. Don't be afraid to work your pickup and master volume controls to get the best tone as setting them to 10 usually isn't going to give you the "sweet spots". Generally dirt boxes go first, then boost pedals, followed by delays and then reverbs. Rack gear should go through your effects loop if you have one, but standard pedals, even modulation, usually work well through the standard guitar input.
    I know nothing about the moogerfoogers, so sorry there.
    Let us know what you come up with.
    -Zeke

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Thanks Zeke hope to be home to play this weekend so I will let you know. I appreciate your input!

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome aboard!
    I'm not a pedal guy, so no help on that matter. Enjoy yourself!

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    No experience with any of these pedals, but I wish you luck in the tone quest.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    As you know, we share the same guitar model ;)

All I need is a chorus, a delay and a good amp ... chorus being the most important ... for me.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    No experience with any of these pedals but generally speaking I'd go:
    tuner>compressor>boost>drive pedals>modulations>delay>reverb

Henry and Bertotti like this.
  8. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    And I'd go:
    tuner>drive pedals>compressor>modulation>delay>boost>. I don't have a reverb pedal. It's in the amp.
    Also, I play a Strat and a Gretsch and don't have to change any of my settings on the effect boxes when I switch guitars on stage.
    I do however have to change the bass and treble on my Fender amp quite a lot. (more bass, less treble)

S Mac

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Barber LTD SR doesn't play well with others it seems to work best first.

The RC Boster really makes all my guitars better, wierd I think.

The rest are just fun but I find I only like a couple at a time or pedals individually. More then a few and I don't like the sound.

Edit: I scratched the Xotic Soul Driven for now.

Usually though I prefer just the RC and my carbon copy. Would love the Moog mf108m but I just can't seem to spend that much on it, seems really overpriced to me when there are so many great alternatives out there. The Soul Driven is really at the top of my cost per pedal list. I haven't bought a pedal in to long I guess these costs might be normal now.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Wound up with an MXR Chorus. I haven't given up on a Soul Driven.

11. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England

Hi Bertotti.

I was struggling to get 'that Byrds sound' on my Ricky 660-12, that is until I bought the Byrds Ltd.Edition Janglebox.
    What a superb pedal, it really does nail that sound and always brings a smile to my face whether it's for recording or on stage. Works well with six strings too like my modded Tele.

One word of advice, don't be tempted to use batteries 'cause it eats them up in no time running the unit into distortion. Instead use a quality PSU like a Boss, only found this out from Steve Lasko the owner, who's help and advice is second to non.

Highly recommended

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do have an older MXR power supply for multiple pedals.

NickGretsch likes this.