New To Gretsch - Brand New MY6131- Neck Dive

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by CB Chicago, Nov 20, 2018.

1. CB Chicago

CB Chicago Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    Chicago
    Hello All -

I'm CB from Chicago, new to this forum and new to Gretsch.

I'm a Les Paul guy and have been playing on and off for about 50 years, since age 7-8.

I recently joined a start-up AC/DC Tribute as Malcolm and was encouraged by my new band mates to buy a Gretsch.

I got on the waiting list at Sweetwater and received the New Malcolm Young 6131 about 2 weeks ago.

I played it for about 2 hours sitting down and loved it. Then I decided to stand up and put a strap on it and was shocked at the neck dive, much worse than any SG I have ever played. It literally dove past the horizontal center-line and was pointing downward.

It took (3) 7.5 oz cans of Coca Cola still in the plastic binding attached to the rear strap button to correct about 90% the problem. I didn't want to add lead fishing weights to the cavity or relocate the front strap button, so I returned it. It was not playable for me.

Question #1: I realize these guitars haven't been widely distributed yet and I was just lucky to be one of the first, but has anyone else experienced this?

Question #2: I'm now considering older models. Is this a common problem with this model Gretsch, or are the older models with both pickups still in place free of this problem?

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Neck dive is a common problem on my double cutaway Jets and Penguins. I don't really play standing up very much, but I use 4" wide straps when I do which counteracts the problem to a certain degree. I love the double cutaway versions so much I just learned to live with it.
    Welcome to the forum, CB Chicago!
    welcome mat 110.jpg

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . Our old friend DrumBob would've advised you to try Italiastraps ( sorry , just playin with ya as most members here would get the joke especially @audept ) Seriously , sometimes the right strap can do justice for neck dive . Best of luck on this problem , hope you solve it quickly

Flouswa likes this.
  4. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    It was hard to do, however, this strap button location makes all the difference!
    Try using some duct or gorilla tape first to see if you like it.

Attached Files:

5. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    BTW, by "hard to do", I meant that it was hard to take a drill to a new guitar, however, this simple move did solve the problem.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a double cut proline jet and it does not neck dive, although it doesn angle up as lively as my junior hollow bodies. My jet is about 8lbs even. I use a tweed strap which has a little bit of grippiness.

What was the weight of the MY jet?

7. CB Chicago

CB Chicago Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    Chicago
    Thank you Thunder58 and Audept for warm welcome and input.

thunder58 and audept like this.
  8. CB Chicago

CB Chicago Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    Chicago
    I didn't weight it, but I believe the specs I read indicated about 7.8 lbs.

I play a 9.5 pound Les Paul, so the Gretsch felt light to me.

Henry likes this.
  9. CB Chicago

CB Chicago Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    Chicago
    I use a drill to install strap locks on all of my guitars, (make the hole deeper) but I couldn't bring myself to drill a new hole in it.

However, I really liked the guitar and am having second thoughts a returning it. I may have to purchase another one and have a luthier relocate the strap button.

jfassett likes this.
  10. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Definitely tape your strap in place using some gorilla or duct tape first to make sure you like the location of the button.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A neck pickup and Bigsby will give you some weight:D
    I kid, welcome in and try a suede backed 3" strap and maybe move the button to the heel as jfassett said.

jfassett and dak55 like this.
  12. jdto

jdto Electromatic

Apr 17, 2016
    Toronto
    Mal also played a White Falcon during the Back in Black era :D

I bet that wouldn’t neck dive and they are sweet.

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT ,CB!

14. CB Chicago

CB Chicago Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    Chicago
    Hello All -

Just an update....

I did my homework and discovered that Tungsten Steel is the most dense metal and would take up the least amount of space in the guitar cavity.

I purchased another Gretsch MY6131 and found a piece of Tungsten 1" x 3.5" that weighs 1.8 pounds ($90.00). It fit nicely into the cavity. Neck Dive problem solved.

Merry Christmas

speedicut and audept like this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Glad that works for you. It would be too much weight for me.

16. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Merry Christmas CB, glad you found a solution.

I’ve got a double cut Penguin and couldn’t cram enough lead shot in the cavity...may add a strap button although my neck joint is shorter than yours so I’ll have to test first.

Attached Files:

17. CB Chicago

CB Chicago Electromatic

Nov 20, 2018
    Chicago
    Merry Christmas Dafreeze -

I had that same problem, not enough space to pack enough lead for the weight I needed. The Tungsten is expensive, but so dense that it takes up a lot less space. I used a 1" round x 3.5" that weighs 1.8 pounds, but they have different weights and shapes. I'm always reluctant to drill additional holes to move the strap buttons. Good luck.

18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You could just get a "fat" suit. My natural one works well against the neck-dive. :D

19. TestPattern

TestPattern Electromatic

Dec 16, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to GT and congrats on your new Gretsch! Malcom Young was THE player who inspired me to pick up a guitar. I used to own a couple of 1990's era Firebirds (Gibson). Those things were the kings of neck dive. I quickly learned never, ever let go of the bird.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice