New TC Effects Pedal Board

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Gretschtim1, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    This thing looks really cool and versatile and sounds great.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/tc...he-multi-effects-pedal-youve-been-waiting-for

LivingMyDream, blueruins and Ricochet like this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Plethora is one of my favorite words.

TSims1, pmac11 and Ricochet like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My shopmate was talking about this one this evening planning to pair one up w/ his Quilter Interblock 45 for his tour rig.

Seems like it would have a good bit of potential for sure. I like the layout & LCD per bank too.

4. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Seems like more of a cornucopia than a plethora. But not quite a panoply. The TC Nova System was much closer to a panoply.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I like the concept. I’ve had good results with TC’s reverbs. The idea of allowing you to program the pedals you want makes a great deal of sense. For my purposes, a couple of reverbs, a tremolo, a delay and a chorus would give me plenty of choices. If I changed my mind, I could just change the tone prints.

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Apparently you can set multiple board loadouts for the slots as well, switchable w/ the right toggle switch w/ up to 75 toneprints per slot to choose from for each of the boards.

audept and Ricochet like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Clever, I like that. No more gig specific boards to carry, or so I imagine.

audept likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This would be perfect for a cover-band. You could cover all the basics and program a set list. This is similar to what we do in live concert digital audio mixers using automation (snapshot memories) as a song list and programmable onboard FX units/send levels/input source switching etc. I have always been a fan of TC digital reverbs since I had a M5000 dual engine reverb more than 20 years ago. I really like their reverb algorithms more than most others.

Waxhead, Ricochet and blueruins like this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    For certain. I think it would be impossible to overestimate the potential of such a setup. Basically, it costs about as much as 2-3 average pedals and gives you up to five mix and match pedals to play with.

What strikes me is that it gives you two levels of versatility. You can chose a basic setup, let’s say a board with reverb (one plate, one spring), tremolo and delays, then choose your specific effects on the fly, from that point, still using the board in real time, during a song. Then switch into something more generic, such as a board with effects used in the ‘70s, compressor, delay, phase shifter, light overdrive and heavy overdrive, and once again select on the fly. Or setup an ‘80s board where chorus, delay and fairly heavy overdrive were common.

I own a couple of TC reverbs and really like them. I use a Hall of Fame mini setup as a plate emulation and it’s about as good as any plate I’ve ever used. I also have a regular Hall of Fame which allows me to select from several types of reverb, including some specific TonePrints I can program in, and select among these by knob. They have some TonePrints for Surf that are stellar, including a plate reverb that Robben Ford developed as an alternative to spring reverb, but still very apropos for Surf.

What I find interesting, with regard to effects, is that there are two distinct modus operandi that I operate within. One is the Engineer, whom wants to come up with intricate solutions and find the Holy Grail. The other mode is the Artist, whom wants to choose among a relative handful of presets, on the fly.

The thing is, the Engineer and the Artist are mutually exclusive. When I’m playing, I tend to be very minimalistic and frequently use only 2 or 3 presets. My Stanley Blue Nebula allows the Engineer to program a series of patches and even allows these to be ordered into a setlist, so an entire gig can be prepared ahead of time, if the Engineer inside me can find the time. This works great for gigs and even rehearsals, but the Artist inside me doesn’t like the fact that it’s hard to make changes on the fly and impossible mid song. So I play gigs with the Nebula, but also have a reverb/delay that is sort of an instant Chet Atkins slapback sound and another reverb which is pretty much an instant Surf sound.

Now it gets complicated because I use three amps, depending upon how the mood strikes me. I have a Winfield Cyclone which has no onboard effects, but sounds Voxish. I have a Winfield Elizabeth which sounds like a Blackface having a very good day and has excellent spring reverb. Then there’s the Tremor, which is basically a Brownface Princeton and has bias varying tremolo that can’t be beat. So I have a footswitch on my board for that tremolo, but still would like to have tremolo available for use with the other two amps. Likewise, the Elizabeth takes care of virtually all my reverb needs, but I still need tremolo and delay with this amp.

So I could see myself setting up three virtual boards with this TC rig, one for each amp and its specific requirements. The heavy technical lifting could be done by the Engineer in my soul, long before the gig, while the Artist within would have freedom to choose between amp-appropriate effects, in real time.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I could see me using this board with just a few of my favorite overdrive/distortion pedals and nothing more.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Been expecting something like this from TC for awhile now, evolution of the G/Nova series.

I think they stuck the landing on the price point.

I assume the Ditto is included in the algorithms?

This would be a good one to have in the effects loop of an amp as well as TC’s reverbs, delays and modulations are often cream of the crop.

I assume it’s midi-able so it could alleviate some 4 cable mess and just sort of live in the back of an amp?

audept likes this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think this is a logical leveraging of the power of the TonePrint technology. I think they hit a bullseye with this approach.

Let me elaborate. The current generation of effects essentially comes down to packaging a DSP. Buy a spring reverb and a plate reverb from the same manufacturer and the only difference between the two is likely the paint job and the programming of the DSP.

TC has leveraged this with their TonePrint technology, which allows you to put select programming on a pedal. Reverb pedals will only accept reverb TonePrints and delay pedals will only accept delay TonePrints, etc. This new pedal takes it to a logical conclusion, allowing you to put any TonePrint you want on this package.

Based upon past experience, TC does a fairly good job with packaging. DSPs, so I’m confident that this multi-effects processor will preserve the quality of your signal. The TonePatches I’ve used seem to be viable and there is a broad pallet of available patches. From what I can tell, the patches are displayed in such a way as to be useful while you are playing, so that is not a concern.

I’ll reserve finally judgement until I can try one out in person, but my impression is quite positive. I don’t think that everyone wilL be rushing out to throw away their current pedals and buy one of these, but I suspect that pedal makers will have to start thinking about similar products if they hope to compete in the long run. Because TC has been using TonePrints for years, they will have a leg up on the competition and may dominate this market segment for the foreseeable future.

blueruins, audept and pmac11 like this.
  13. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    But does the signal chain go from left to right, or right to left???? I mean if you had five actual pedals in a row on a board wouldn't they go from right to left? Why do they make these multi-effect pedal boards go the wrong way? That's User-Interface design at work for you. :)

This actually looks pretty cool, seems like it plays well with others. Could bring your own Tube Screamer, for example.

I also am interested in learning more about the Line 6 Pod GO, there were a few videos from NAMM 2020.

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Is the Plethora available yet? If not, when?

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Funny , my locals show a remarkable influx of used TC pedals...

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    What I found to be the case with Line 6 stuff is it sounds better when someone else is playing it. I don't like the feel of the Line 6 HD stuff or for that matter amp modeling pedals in general. To me it feels like it's fighting me. Real amps feel like they respond to my touch quicker. It just feels like a slight lag time going on. When I let my brother play my Variax guitar on the acoustic setting through the HD 500x rack it sounds pretty good - almost real but when I play it it feels like there's some latency that I can't deal with. Lots of guys don't feel it but it bothers the hell out of me. The faster I play the worst it gets. It's not as bad as your average guitar synthesizer but it's there enough to make touch feel wrong. I have the same problem with a lot of today's software synths even though they've gotten much better over the past 10 years. When ever I record using a software piano I tend to slide the recording a few notches earlier to fix the lag - sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Some musicians play behind the beat while others push the beat a little. It's all a feel thing - ever so slight but never the less it's there. Modeling messes with that feel thing and for some it can be a game changer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    GlenP likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yep. I’ve got one for sale myself. :)

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    With the release of the Plethora I think we're gonna see a lot more TC pedals go up for sale. Guys are going to sell the pedals so they can buy a Plethora or two...:D.
    One of my guitar players recently bought a few TC pedals that he really loves but wishes the Plethora was available before he bought them. Two good TC pedals almost equals one Plethora...:).

Ricochet likes this.
  19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’ve got a lot of TC on my board. I still have some TC pedals from the 80’s:D
    The Plethora was inevitable so I’m not really sore about it. Not really considering adding a Plethora soon but I really like the idea of one in the effects loop.
    TC stuff is so prevalent now that they weren’t commanding top dollar on the user market anyhow.
    I plan on creating a second Pedalboard for a practice amp set-up. My phased-out TC stuff will likely end up there.

pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice