New surf green double jet fsr

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by iowa, Jun 9, 2016.

1. iowa

iowa Gretschie

Jun 3, 2008
    corn country
    i didn't see that anyone had posted about this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...c-double-jet-electric-guitar?rNtt=Fsr&index=4

Looks like an Electromatic Double Jet with Filtertrons.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to save the pic on my IPad.

2. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Thank goodness for the gold hardware. I'd be in all sorts of temptation trouble if it was silver.

3. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Needs a B3 & chrome

ZackyDog, heinzman and larryb like this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Someone had posted pics of the Bigsby'd version of this a few days ago. I think the general consensus was "WHY would you put gold hardware on there?!!".......or something like that. :)

Waxhead and larryb like this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That was the Canadian $900 single cut version with blacktops. This one is just as offensive color wise but a much better deal in my opinion.

canvas.png

Waxhead and TSims1 like this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Ahh.......I stand corrected, yet still disgusted? Lol.

MTurner likes this.
  7. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Can I just leave this here, as a bit of s visual cleanser. ;)

image.jpeg

8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Ahhhh.........thank you. I needed that.

9. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    +100!!! WHY GOLD????

Gold hardware looks great on white, black and natural archtops....but not with surf green!!!!

10. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    Well, I wouldn't kick it out of bed. I'd learn to live with it. Tell people I was colourblind. Maybe send it to Glenn for a re-finish. :)

CKC411 likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

No doubt, chrome would make more sense with this finish. As somebody who is generally fond of gold hardware, I think there are a few reasons why it doesn't work here. One is that that color is just too loud to top it off with more glitz. Another is that that color combo just screams 1950s automobile, and they were trimmed with copious amounts of chrome, so I think there's some cognitive dissonance. Finally, the pickguard doesn't make any sense with gold. I think a gold guard would actually make the gold hardware less offensive.

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm a fan of gold and don't think it looks hideous here. I wonder if it's chambered. I don't own a double cut Jet. Good thing it isn't sonic blue.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Chrome, indeed... Not gold !

[​IMG]

A+!

CKC411 and BorderRadio like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm just lucky that it's not Caddy Green.

16. felix

felix Electromatic

Mar 4, 2015
    texas
    Definitely needs a bigsby but all in all a cool guitar.

ZackyDog likes this.
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Don't forget that was in Canadian dollars. So $600-650 usd

Robbie likes this.
  18. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Electromatic

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    OK, mine just arrived. I bought it specifically for the color--the red version was nice enough, but not enough that I had to have it. But surf green was a 'must have.' (Matches my surf green Jazzmaster) But then again, I like odd colors and models of guitars, and I have a few gold hardware, though it wouldn't be my first choice. Can't just be playing the same thing as everybody else, now can I....

Anyway. Best built Chinese guitar I've ever laid hands on, and I've owned at least a dozen Fender, Squier and Gretsch MIC models in that last 12 months. It really is solid, well built, with no issues whatsoever. Easily the equal of MIJ product. Plays great, sounds great.

One of the big issues I have with inexpensive or import guitars is the 'plinky' nature of them. Often feels like the wood just isn't doing its job as a conductor of wave lengths, like the sound bounces off them rather than travels through them. Not so with this one. Solid, dense feeling, and yes, a bit heavy.

Odd for me is that the body just feels thick--thicker than my Les Pauls, so the higher frets have a huge chunk of wood to deal with once you get to where the neck meets the body. But that will just take getting used to, after all, its a design thing with the double jet, not a manufacturing issue.

The last jet I had was a 2010 MIC with bigsby, which I was really impressed with for the money. This new one exceeds it in every way. Normally 699, minus 15% coupon plus price matched (post-sale) at 594, so it shipped for about 490. I dig it.

Pics! Not now, don't have camera, don't internet on the phone. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get around to it, on the long weekend.

BTW, the oldest Grestch I've owned was a 54 Synchromatic archtop--so I'm not just an import and new buyer! But this new one is super nice.

itchybro and ZackyDog like this.
  19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, let's see some pics!

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Offensive? Because of the gold hardware?

Didn't you have a suit custom made like this? Please, be honest.

[​IMG]

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice