New Strymon....! Volante!!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TSims1, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    From what I have heard of your playing in video’s, your setup with the Mystery Brain works wonders. Although I know your playing has a big part in that as well. :)

nickurso likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Good cuz that's my signature sound! Actually I cant handle doing anything mid song other than play, I cant even reliably switch pickup options. I tend to lose my place.

I did see a video where they used the bllllerr on purpose as an effect to do octave up and down sounds by doubling or halving the frequency.

TSims1 likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Thank you

Merc likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    with the best sharc processor on the market, the matricks hazz you!
    [​IMG]

Srellim1, Merc and nickurso like this.
  5. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    A Ventris made it’s way into my world over the holidays which meant that I was in a spot to move the Flint along to a new home (tough call!). The Ventris is the best sounding digi reverb I’ve heard. It doesn’t have a comparable trem though which means a Nailhead may be in my future.
    Now I have to decide if the El Cap stays or goes.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I went from a flint to a mobius cuz I wanted more presets but I am still contemplating a Gravitas.

Srellim1 likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don't know these pedals but I am curious what will this give you that the El Cap won't? Just more control or is it the different tape delays?

8. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It is both a different control set and different tape delays (Echorec drum style in particular). Also it has a looper that seems to be somewhat more functional than the El Capistan’s sound on sound mode.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Bertotti likes this.
  9. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Bump for fun talkyness

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    my El Capistan is sold, feels strange now.. empty but not. I rely on the Mystery Brain Echo and the boss DM-3 w the Oceans 11 covering my shimmer verb pad and the El Pescadoro covering my plate/chambers blues verb. I'm expecting more out of the ambient verb realm on this new pedal, as the el capistans verb did one thing well.. solid state short tank reverb. The sound of the verb on an RE-201 space echo. For the echo part, I just want 3 distinct multi-tap and tap-able delay settings for modern stuff. The El Capistan demanded too much, per song adjusting. One other reason to make me miss my Line6 DL4 that I sold to get the El Capistan a few yrs ago. :) (i still have my line6 distortion though)

Srellim1 and Merc like this.
  11. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I put my El Capistan up for sale here for a day then took it down. That money definitely needs to find its way back into my savings account but I’d realized that I’ve made a few hasty moves selling pedals recently with heavy regrets. I think I’m going to wait to compare then hold on to the one that feels best. The Volante takes up a lot of space for a second delay on a board. I ‘think’ it’s going to be way better for me than the El Cap but I don’t want to regret this one either.

Edit: I remember you being pretty adamant about holding on to the El Capistan, so I was surprised to see you put it up so quickly.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Just a question about your Fultone SSTE and repairs.
    I have one that gives me a thumping sound. I've changed tapes, capstan roller but I get this thumping sound and can't figure it out. It does it randomly and I never know when it's gonna happen. Because of that it's ruined a couple takes of guitar tracks. The unit sounds good but this problem is nerve racking. What problems did you have with yours and did it ever have that thumping sound?
    I have other delay units including the El Capistan but the SSTE has a thicker sound which I prefer.

13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I had a thumping sound and after six emails with videos of my trying allbthe suggestions they gave me I sent it in for a repair. Turned out to be the record head failed and cost $175.00 plus shipping. I got it fixed, made sure it worked right and sold it

14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It might be hard to beat a great working tape echo. But this just reminds me why I choose to go with a great delay pedal as tape would get expensive for me.

Luckily the pedals have come a long way. The hard part now for many is choosing, Belle Epoch, El Cap, Mystery Brain, Dunlop Echoplex (my current delay), and the list goes on and on. It’s like a golden age of delays.

15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    The mystery brain gives me that warm tape echo sound and it’s way more reliable

Merc likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Stick around Bob , the best is yet to come :)

LivingMyDream likes this.
  17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Only because you said so Rich. ;)

thunder58 likes this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I only use the tape delay in the studio. For live I use the Deco & El Capistan.
    I like the way the EP3 mode in the SSTE drives my amp - nothing sounds quite like it - not even the pedals that claim to use the same circuit.

Merc likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The thumping I hear sounds remarkably close to the sound of bumping a microphone stand with a hot mic plugged into a pa head. The sound happens even with no guitar plugged into it but while the echo volume is up. Does that sound like the sound yours was making?

20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Also I thought this unit was suppose to be quieter than an Echoplex but I don't think it is. In fact the hiss seems to be getting louder so maybe the head is failing on this one too. It's only a few years old and hasn't left the studio. $900 and I could of bought an old Echoplex for a lot less and had better luck. My 2 Echoplexes were work horses and I never had to do any major repairs. Bad record heads on a unit that's only a few years old is a joke. They must be using cheap junk. I also don't like how small the capstan is. At least the Echoplex had a full size capstan.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice