New Strymon....! Volante!!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TSims1, Jan 10, 2019.

1. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Dang, I just bought a Brigadier.
    I think I more prefer the analog over tape anyways... NPD incoming
    Waiting for the big brown truck :cool:

Merc likes this.
  2. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Looks like Space Age to me, with a wee bit taste of lime :).

(Well, not everybody needs to say YES, YES!)

3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

No. I’m starting to see a lot of overlap in Strymons line, and this just doesn’t seem necessary. Cool......but I don’t need it. Plus, it’s huge. I’m not personally gonna give that much real estate on my board to one pedal. I’ll be honest and say while I think it looks pretty neat and my first reaction was that’s its real neato .......I’m not blown away by the demo videos. But I’ll be interested to see more as time marches on.

nickurso, Bertotti and audept like this.
  4. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm. Starting to consider moving the El Capistan along as it is on and off if the board anyway. I have sold it and regretted it in the past, but this does appear to have all of the features that I like most about it.

5. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I like the fact it offers both tape and the drum echo based on a Binson. Over the last year I had looked at other Binson modern types. Should be fun and interesting to play around with when playing non rockabilly stuff.

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Somewhat paradoxically this one looks like it would be simpler to operate (for me any way) than the BigSky or Timeline, or even the El Cap... Having all the controls readily available via their own switch/knob goes along way towards usability for me.

If I ran into one in person and liked the sounds it would have me thinking about moving along my BigSky and El Cap and snagging one...

Am I the only one thats keeps mentally prefixing the name w/ "disco"?

Merc and Srellim1 like this.
  7. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada

TSims1 and Merc like this.
  8. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    For me I think it has too many functions which is always a problem I have with strymon, and I’ll probably hear it for saying this but their pedals all sound to sterile to me, they just don’t have that warm natural sound I like to hear

TSims1 likes this.
  9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I don't think all of them sound sterile, but I'm w/ you on both the complexity and the character of some of the default patches/small boxes winding up sounding a bit to too polished/clinical/"studio quality" for my most commonly sought out sounds. That would be my primary concern w/ grabbing one of these w/o a thorough in person test drive.

nickurso likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Lol. Nope! Not yet anyways. ;)

nickurso likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I think that’s fair. You are talking about digital pedals after all.

nickurso likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Aren’t some echo’s colored the sound a bit? I believe I read somewhere El Cap intentionally doesn’t but I could be wrong. I was under the impression Strymon does this so it can sound natural or like the pre-amp of your choosing.

For example, unlike my Dunlop echoplex which has their pre-amp on the echo only. It sounds great and nice and warm to me though.

nickurso likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, not sure why strymon doesn't just print the secondary functions on top in a different color. O
    I tend to set and forget, but then I forget what all the secondary functions are.

I also think the "small" strymons are already too big, though I use the mobius now. The El Cap was knocked off my board on favor of the Tonal Recall which is regular small pedal size, tap tempo, analog and with midi and lots of presets (2 presets available by finger switch with no need for any other accessories or a favorite pedal like strymon). I don't understand why strymon doesn't implement the same on their smaller pedals that are digital anyway.

But you've all heard me complain about the lack of presets on these large, digital and expensive pedals.

Merc and TSims1 like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    These big guys do have a lot to learn but for me, that's half the fun. As to digital. I have tube amps and I like the clarity of the BigSky. I think it sounds great and I think the other Strymon sound good as well but I can see why people could dislike them. Probably why this new pedal will draw some in very fast and hard and why I am not that taken. It sounds good but I have no history with the hardware this one replicates if it did I imagine I would be drawn to it more.

Now you guitar guys might think I am nuts but I see more uses for this pedal and the multi-knob Strymons with keyboards then I do with a guitar.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    And in the interest of clarity, I don't think any of the Strymons I've had have really sounded cheaply digital (aside from the lofi patches that are supposed to sound that way), just about 2/5ths to half are a bit clean and/or polished sounding to my ears for a lot of the guitar sounds I'm going for.

I too have loved them for playing around w/ the Kaosillator, drum machines, or VSTs from the DAW.

Bertotti and TSims1 like this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I had a Fulltone SSTE that sounded great except the tapes kept unspooling and at $900 I just couldn’t deal with especially after $200 in repairs and tape cartridges. The mystery brain solved that for me. I don’t use much delay so I not really need the versatility

Merc likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I think they sound fine too. I have a DIG and a Flint on my board right this minute. Each with favorite switches.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I love analog delays but can NOT have the doggone “bllllerrrrrrrr” sound happening on stage when tapping in tempos live on the fly. It majorly bums me out.

Henry likes this.
  19. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Dammit.
    They got me.

Bertotti likes this.
  20. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I should clarify. The El Cap never sounded warm to me but the Deco sounded very organic, easier to use also. I had the rotory speaker model too and it was ok but still a little too digital for me

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice