New Strings

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dreameruk, Sep 21, 2019.

1. dreameruk

dreameruk Electromatic

Feb 18, 2019
    UK
    Hi, I bought my 5420 in April, playing it more every day !.
    I decided to restring it, with some Ernie Ball slinkys 11s. I believe the guitar came with D'Addario 11s. The problem is they sound tinny. I replaced the old strings and that lovely deep sound returned. Can anyone make any suggestions.

2. Charging Charlie

Charging Charlie Gretschie

Jun 21, 2018
    Maryland
    Try a set of Thomastic - Infeld JS 110 Flatwounds. They are expensive but stay in tune and last a long time.
    I put them on all my guitars. Give them a try , you won't be sorry !

Outlaw likes this.
  3. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    New strings are always* bright when you first put them on. Give 'em a couple few days to mellow out. The D'Addario's you removed were old and coated strings, like Elixirs

I like D'Addario NYXL 11's myself. Elixir NanoWeb strings are also a bit less bright initially, and seem to last forever due to the coating on them

new6659 and Flouswa like this.
  4. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, as above. 5 months and they'll sound the same. I use them by the way, the 11-48's. Great strings! Although a month on them is way more than enough.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I use DR Pure Blues, nice strings.

Like what has been said. The new strings are going to sound bright. The strings on your 5420 were probably pretty dead before you played it the first time if you bought it new. They were put on In Korea and you don’t really know how long it was in the store.

The first thing I do with a new guitar after I decide I'm keeping it is put new strings on it.

RussB likes this.
  6. dreameruk

dreameruk Electromatic

Feb 18, 2019
    UK
    When I say Tinny, I mean almost buzzy. Its not fret buzz, but the sound is so thin.

7. dreameruk

dreameruk Electromatic

Feb 18, 2019
    UK
    Thanks everyone. Food for thought here. I would say the sound is not bright, its almost like hot fat mixed with water. The thin strings are fine , but the wound strings are not good. Perhaps you are right and I need to bed them in for a few more days. I will wait until next weekend and make a decision. Thank you all so much for your help

8. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I’ve been playing guitar for almost 30 years. I don’t play like I’ve got 30 years experience by any means but off and on playing.
    Getting to the point, I’ve never used any other brand than D’Addario and I’ve always been satisfied with them in any gauge on any guitar. I did one time try some flat wound strings, can’t remember what brand but they had a really mellow sound. Only thing I didn’t like about flat wound was my fingers didn’t slide for crap. It’s like they were sticky.

9. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Perhaps being new there's just some minor issues? A high.ish fret or 2, or maybe a little action adjustment? New is the worst phase of 'kinks to work out'. Also, I use a very, very thin mechanical pencil and shade in the nut grooves. Helps slippage and tunage.

10. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    The closest thing I have to you guitar is a G5622T. N\But, I've been using D'Addario Pure Nickle 10's and getting quite a variety on usefull tones.

11. RussB

RussB Electromatic

Sep 20, 2019
    CT
    Buzzy...how much if any neck relief is there?

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    With new strings the ones that will sound bright at first are in fact the wound strings.

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Strings are always an ongoing matter of belief.
    Some people like to play rusty and even dead strings. And they are obviously on a right track like Tom Petty.

There are may different makes, building principals and materials. The right one has to do with your personal hearing and phyical punishment by any kind of tremolo bar. Trems do stress stings more than guitars that go without them.

I would suggest:
    Dial in a set that you like when new and critically watch it fade.

Usually a set of quality strings will fade when used heavily about one week or one sweaty live show.
    Then you have to change it definetively.
    We are talking about quality roundwounds like GHS Boomers or DAddarios here. Flatwounds will last a bit longer.

new6659 likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    They sound tinny for a day or two. ....Or an hour's playing. They should be fine.
    BTW, no matter what strings you buy, the plain strings are all just steel.

15. dreameruk

dreameruk Electromatic

Feb 18, 2019
    UK
    Thanks everyone. Im going to replace with d'addarios and see what happens. If they give the same effect then I know its 'newness'. I need to learn patience. I am pretty sure the setup is ok, but I am thinking to get that professionally checked. What is the point of having such a lovely instrument if its not set up perfectly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice