Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New Streamliners for 2016

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MacStevenXIII, Jan 8, 2016.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That's £280 currently :D

2. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    Oh no. Using the above arithmetic that comes down to $321. If we go on like this you'll be getting them free in cornflake packets! :)

3. g_evans

g_evans Electromatic

Jan 9, 2016
    uk
    Towner bar sounds like the way to go. Can anyone offer any insight into whether a towner bar and a bigsby b3 would work with the G2622LH? I can't be sure but it seems to have a similar body size and shape to the G5622. Also, I've seen installations using rivets in the place where the screws go by the strap button - I'd prefer not to put any holes in my guitar at all so would the strap button adaptor hold the b3 in
    Place and in tune without the screws?

cjtowner likes this.
  4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Currently $1.43 to the £.

$400 = £279.82

5. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    Yes, I was applying the 4/5ths rule to that. A silly endless game that would never reach zero but very close to it.

6. cjtowner

cjtowner Electromatic

Jan 4, 2011
    San Diego
    If you install the TOWNER down tension bar and hinge plate adaptor with a BIGSBY B3 or BIGSBY B6 with hinge plate mod on your Gretsch G2622LH post some photos. Hit me up if you have any questions, I think Gretsch uses metric hardware so you'll probably have to replace the studs. Theres info about that on my site too.

englishman likes this.
  7. g_evans

g_evans Electromatic

Jan 9, 2016
    uk
    Thanks cjtowner.

I think a b3 with bar is my first mod, thanks I will tap you up if I get stuck. Just waiting for next payday now...

So having been able to play through my Marshall 100dfx, the pickups are surprisingly perky. I was worried they would sound a bit dull and muddy but they hold up pretty well. There's a bit of a gretsch tone there too. Once the bigsby is done I may look at upgrading them but they aren't bad at all especially for the price.

cjtowner likes this.
  8. iowa

iowa Gretschie

Jun 3, 2008
    corn country
    Sweetwater has these listed on their site now.

g2420t hollows at less than 7lb's
    G2622t center blocks in the low 7 lb range.

Both at $549

Nice

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am jealous of the center block weights, they must have learned from the electromatic center blocks. I love my 5622, but the dang thing is heavy!

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've used the Towner tension bar on my 5655 and ES339 and it seems like a quality piece that functions as advertised. So far the B3 w/ an adjustable tension bar is the best Bigsby setup I've tried.

11. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Looking at the 2016 NAMM offerings, my initial response was, "Big deal." Why have they gone back to Gretschbuckers? I thought the general consensus was they were unpopular. I would like to have seen some variations of the Jet series, and maybe a budget but accurate Billy Bo.

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The 2655T in walnut stain is incredibly sexy to me other than the inlays seeming a bit overly large and un-Gretsch-like (really could say the same about all of the doublecut models). I think I'd be looking at a pickup swap on one of these as well if the Broadtrons sound substantially the same as the Gretshcbuckers.

Armygirl likes this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Played a Walnut Stain 2622 and 2655T tonight and they were pretty darn nice. Way lighter weight than any of the MiK center blocks I've played. With a nylon strap they both exhibited equally significant neck dive tendencies but w/ them being so light it didn't seem particularly bothersome in about 15 minutes of playing each of them. They both seemed well put together and finished and decently setup. Both had a very comfortable neck and body shape looked very good in person. The hardware was sort of cheap looking but seemed to work well enough. The pickups seemed a bit dark in the 2655T, better in the 2622, and sort of indistinct in either. I really want to hear one w/ Filtertrons of some sort.

I could definitely see myself ending up w/ one at some point.

Armygirl likes this.
  14. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I think with these Gretsch have looked at the G5120 and the mods that were being done by 'everyone', e.g. pickup upgrade and then thought about where else they could cut costs that would be upgradable - if you don't like the cheap knobs upgrade them yourself to Arrow knobs or whatever, change the bridge to a Tru Arc etc. Also there were a lot of complaints about the bigger 'Mickey Mouse' f-holes, I dislike them myself and would rather too skinny than too big.

Aside from those things, appearance-wise there is nothing that hasn't appeared in the Gretsch back catalogue, block 50s inlays, skinny f-holes etc.

Personally I don't like double cutaways too much, I have a '63 6120 with double cutaways that I bought because it sounds great and was the only Gretsch I could find and afford at the time. I wouldn't get another double cutaway guitar but I'd go for the gold single cutaway job, mod it and use it at open mic nights.

I'd really like to see Gretsch introduce some new colours but within a retro palette , like they did with the pastel blue G5127. I realise though that they are trying to shift units and are playing safe.

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree. These new streamliners clearly are NOT for the vintage collectors and those looking to recapture the 50s. They are for new guitar players and those that want to make something new.

I am glad they addressed the weight on these center blocks. Wish they had done that on the MIK ones.

GJuice likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I got to play some of the new Streamliner guitars yesterday at one of the locals,unfortunately most of them were in need of a good setup ,but i was surprised that i liked the one i thought i wouldn't like,the small bodied G2655 CB JR DC,great little geet and i'm sure it would be lot better when setup properly !

17. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    I see some of them have the fixed bridge studs in the body at the sharp angle again. What is with that? Looks like another new bridge design for my bridges.
    "Pops"

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have had the chance to play a G2420T and a G2622T (double cut) Streamliner.

As one of the world's greatest haters of Gretschbuckers I plugged these guitars into a DRRI and let fly. I can assure you that, no matter what they look like, these are NOT Gretschbuckers. The pickups were very good although not Filter'tron like in character. They are standard Humbucker size, had lots of highs and lows and were quite pleasing to the ear.

The Streamliners are Gretsch entry level models and the $549.00 price tag at the Las Vegas Sam Ash bears that out. The necks were very good and the finish was quite acceptable. Both had B70 Bigsby tailpieces and standard Gretsch controls. They had no F-hole binding and they had plastic knobs that were functional.

To my mind they fill the need for a Gretsch that competes against Epiphone, Squier and the cheaper MiM Fenders. The Electromatics are a step above the Streamliners to the same degree that Proline is above the Electromatics. However, and most importantly, they played reasonably well and sounded good. They offer a lot of value for very little money.

And the pickups are significantly better than Gretschbuckers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  19. GJuice

GJuice Electromatic

Aug 24, 2014
    newcastle, UK
    Modding my G2622T is a way for me to get close to a Panther, without losing all my savings, and get the experience and excitement of making something unique, yet still being Gretsch.
    I'm a younger player (22) though I'm not new to playing or to Gretsch, really! If I had the money I'd buy a Panther straight up, as well as a 6120, a Power Jet, an Annie etc (let me buy them ALL!). I love the pro-lines, and love vintage models, but my funds exclude me from such joys.

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree these streamliner models appeal to young players, new players, broke players. But I can also see some appeal for more seasoned Gretsch vets (of course I would never speak on behalf of any of you!). Maybe someone with a few pro-lines wants a new toy cheap or something to mod or experiment with. Of course I understand that if you're all about the classic vintage models, then these may not be for you.

I feel that I had a point when I started this message - apologies if this seems like a pointless post!