Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New Streamliners for 2016

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MacStevenXIII, Jan 8, 2016.

1. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Interesting? are there any sound videos' available for it yet?

2. g_evans

g_evans Electromatic

Jan 9, 2016
    uk
    It fits plush in the g5622t case, so it must be similar in size, likely weight too by the sounds of it.

Was thinking about fitting a bigsby, novice with tinkering though. Will have to do a bit of reading up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  3. GJuice

GJuice Electromatic

Aug 24, 2014
    newcastle, UK
  4. g_evans

g_evans Electromatic

Jan 9, 2016
    uk
    I don't mind the look of those rubber plugs actually. Maybe that's the way to go. Sounds like fitting a bigsby is usually straightforward, originally before I got this I was looking at the g5420 and a bigsby went on those without much fuss.

5. GJuice

GJuice Electromatic

Aug 24, 2014
    newcastle, UK
    Even better if you're thinking of using a B6/B60, as the process will be reversible with no new screw holes on the guitars top. I assume either of those models will work, can't see why not, given there's enough string break angle from the Bigsby to the bridge. (Looks to me that there will be).

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    It wasn't enough on my G5622T LH, so the strings escaped the bridge. For that test I simply removed the front roller of the B7. You need a minimum of 7 - 8 degrees of break angle to have a satisfactory tremolo working : that's also the angle that you find on B6/G5420, B6/G6119. If you only find 5 degrees on your G2622 (like it was on my G5622), it won't work.

A+!

7. GJuice

GJuice Electromatic

Aug 24, 2014
    newcastle, UK
    Thanks for the into, hcsterg. I wonder if that means one of the long G tailpieces would not work very well on a G2622T. Though I think it would be okay. Must do some research.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A couple potential solutions that do not involve drilling into the top:

Check out to towner down bar or whatever its called. You can put on a non-tension bar bigsby, and then use the existing holes for the stop tailpiece with the hardware as the tension bar:
    http://townerusa.com/

[​IMG]

Also consider the duesenberg les trem II, which also drops in at the stop tailpiece (assuming it is the right size; it is not on my epi les paul so I need to machine the holes larger on the trem). http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREMOLO-DUE...Paul-Guitar-CHROME-TM85C-Export-/111624863619

[​IMG]

Sid Nitzerglobin and cjtowner like this.
  9. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    is this a signal that Gretsch is dropping "Electromatic" on the headstock of the Electromatic line?

10. g_evans

g_evans Electromatic

Jan 9, 2016
    uk
    Hi Henry,

Thanks for the ideas - I like the towner bar option. Have you any experience with them?

11. g_evans

g_evans Electromatic

Jan 9, 2016
    uk
    Also, would a b3 work ok with a towner bar? Saves me having to put a screw in the top.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No, not personally. The maker is a member here. I think it is @cjtowner .

Edit: I think I found the member here who is the maker of the Towner, and also did a quick search and didn't see anyone here who has used one.

13. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I don't remember who, but someone here did use one and was happy with the results.

14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    That's my recollection, as well.

15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I think it's unlikely, this is just another Fender-ish tier to expand the lower end of the range. The Gretsch 'bullets' if you will.

16. GJuice

GJuice Electromatic

Aug 24, 2014
    newcastle, UK
    I caved and bought a G2622T in the Torino Green. It's due to arrive tomorrow - I'll make sure I post pics. I have plans to mod it, of course.

cjtowner likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    How much do these work out to be in US dollars?

18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    This works out to be $500

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 9.30.09 AM.png

19. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    which means that stateside it will probably be around 20% less than that-- USA street price will most likely be in the neighborhood of $400.

20. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    Hey! Don't rub it in. :(