New Streamliner! (Tone Question Too lol)

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by BMJ-88, Jan 29, 2019.

1. BMJ-88

BMJ-88 Newbie

Jan 29, 2019
    USA
    Hey everybody! I have been lusting after a Gretsch Streamliner for awhile now. After sharing my feelings with a friend of mine I was informed he had one for sale! So I bought it and he shipped it up to me. Came in really dirty, missing knobs, etc.

Tonight I got it all cleaned up, put new strings on and put on some chrome G-arrow knobs. She's looking great! I also ordered a new silver sparkle pickguard (not in yet) which should hopefully had some pop to this black beauty.

One question: do the stock pickups usually sound pretty dark? I have the tone turned up all the way bright and it still sounds muddy in some applications. Im wondering if I can adjust the individual poles on the pickups to pickup more treble. Is that a really bad idea? Any suggestions?

Looking forward to interacting with you guys!

Attached Files:

CaliforniaSlim and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I had a 2655 and found that the pickups were quite dark. To brighten them up, you can try lowering the pickup body and raising the pole pieces. A more extreme solution is to remove one row of pole pieces from each pickup. If you use the master volume, adding a treble bleed makes a big difference. EQ also helps.

I found that these tricks brightened up the sound a fair amount on my Streamliner. One trick that I didn't try was to swap out the pots for 1M pots, and to use a no-load pot for the tone control.

In the end, I still felt that the tone was too dark for my taste, so I was about to swap in a pair of Blacktop Filtertrons when I found a great deal on a used 5620T in a finish that I preferred. I ended up selling the Streamliner and buying the 5620T. But Streamliners are great guitars, and with some tweaking, I'm sure you'll get it sounding the way you like. Worst-case scenario: you can always swap the pickups. A set of Blacktop Filtertrons should run about $50 to $80, which is a bargain for such great pups.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Also: welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome to GT, and congrats on your new black beauty!

The Broadtrons are humbuckers that run pretty dark. An eq pedal or a drive pedal with a tone control could make it a bit brighter.

You’re gonna meet lots of proud streamliner owners here (myself included) and also find out how a lot of us have totally modded ours out into mean machines. You’ve already started with the knobs and pickguard.
    Many of us have swapped out the pickups for more of a “Gretsch” sound. I have TV Jones Classic Filtertrons in mine.
    But there are plenty of folks that love the Broadtrons. You’re stepping into a world that’s gonna drive you crazy with ideas!
    Enjoy!

5. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Davis Sharp and calebaaron666 like this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Still one of my favorite threads on the forum. Wish more people would add to it!
    I wanna see more!
    Maybe when folks a start buying up the newer models we’ll be seeing more creative geniuses!

section2 likes this.
  7. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    welcome! the broadtrons can be a bit dark. the pole piece adjustment got me what I wanted out of them. best of luck on your streamliner journey.

BMJ-88 likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house,cool geet sir!

BMJ-88 likes this.
  9. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to the group BMJ. The talented folks above have covered your pickups.

BMJ-88 likes this.
  10. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I slightly adjusted the pole pieces on mine and love the result. Gorgeous guitar by the way.

BMJ-88 likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, BMJ-88!
    Welcome-Mats 26.jpg

BMJ-88 likes this.
  12. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome! Nice guitar....

BMJ-88 likes this.
  13. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Welcome and congrats on the guitar!

BMJ-88 likes this.
  14. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Welcome to the club. Black guitars are awesome.

BMJ-88 likes this.
  15. BMJ-88

BMJ-88 Newbie

Jan 29, 2019
    USA
    Thanks everyone! I did the pole adjustment on the humbuckers and its already sounding much better! I will probably go for the TV Jones pickups down the road. Cant wait to take it on stage!

calebaaron666, section2 and tdtom like this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome to this nice place.
    Your guitar is a beauty. Enjoy it.

17. svvaynee

svvaynee Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Ukraine
    Ordering a pair of TVJ Classics this week, can't wait.
    It is true that stock BroadTrons sound pretty dark and while there's nothing wrong with this some folks including me find it lacking some twang.
    At first I though that I just got used to the sound of my Tele which is of course as glassy and twangy as all Teles usually are, but with time I thought that no matter the reason I still don't fancy that kind of guitar sound that stock BroadTrons provide.
    With all that said I still think that BroadTrons are good pickups but not for me personally since the music that I play requires my guitar to have clear and bright clean tones

P.S. This forum is a beautiful place, indeed

calebaaron666 likes this.