New Setzer Hot Rod Day

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RustyShackleford, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If the smaller scale length bothers you, might be better to return.

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    This is rampant on so many gretsch guitars now, but... Street Sounds in NY would sell a guitar w this as a blem. Here's the thing though, not ALL gretsches have a perfectly flat fretboard especially where the neck joins the body, not all these gretsch guits have the same quality of wood on the top and back of the guitar. Voids in the ply reduce resonance, and on and on so if the guitar sounds and plays and feels perfect dont get caught up in binding that didnt get scraped as thoroughly after the first sealing coat was applied to the raw guitar. Unless you are buying it as lawyer wall art. :) That guitar is beautiful! I cant wait until a translucent purple is created to match my 99' purple candy hotrod :)
    aTqmEIMBTHai3TNM235dqQ.jpg

3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As long as the guitar is otherwise o.k. I would have absolutely no problem with the binding at this crazy pricepoint.
    It is a formidable looking guitar.

4. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Electromatic

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
    It’s not the scale length, it’s the size of the body. I’m used to the big gal. It doesn’t bother me it’s just interesting to me on how a small change to the bout size gives a completely different feel hanging on the strap.

TSims1 likes this.
  5. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Same here, I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one of these but I've no room in the gun safe!

Congrats on a beauty Rusty, I hope it works out to your satisfaction!

6. RustyShackleford

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
  7. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Never played a Falcon as far as body size goes, thought you meant freaking over size of scale length.

They look like a great pair if the binding doesn’t bother you and it’s added to your stable. I wonder if they will only do a refund and you decide to keep it, maybe you could talk them into some cash flowing back your way.

8. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    @Merc I would not worry about the yellowing - it's a beautiful guitar. Good deal congrats!

Have you noticed the 9.5" Setzer fretboard radius - how does it feel compared to your other 12" radius Gretsches?

9. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My buddy recently got a Setzer Green Sparkle (although not through the Adorama deal), and he reports no binding discoloration on his - but he also had the chance to eyeball it before he bought it.

But I'm sure you paid a lot less for yours than he did - with the Adorama blowout - So maybe take that into account.. !!

[​IMG]

10. RustyShackleford

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
    Spent some more time playing and it is one crazy resonant guitar. The falcon is more refined whereas this one is more raw. Makes sense given the hotter bridge pup.

Haven’t heard back from Adorama yet but I realize it is the weekend. I’ll likely keep it.

My least favorite thing is the location of the pickup switch, but hey you can’t agree with Brian on everything. I’ll get used to it.

Telechamp likes this.
  11. RustyShackleford

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
    I do notice it when I first pickup the guitar or switch from anther guitar, but it’s a very slight difference. I get along fine with 9.5 and have a couple 9.5 Teles. After a minute or so it is out of my mind. I find it comfortable for chording, which is my wheelhouse.

Most of my guitars are 12” but my hands are not picky with radius. I get along with most everything.

DougCraft likes this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Hot guitar. Congrats! I’m not a huge Brian Setzer fan, but I admire the way these guitars are wired. One knob, one switch. Genius! And a two tone gretsch is such a pretty thing to look at.
    If it were me, i wouldn’t worry about the blemish, BUT I’m a slob so....

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The 2-tone black is my favorite Hot Rod color. One of the classiest finishes IMO.

14. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    [QUOTE="RustyShackleford, post: 1119194, member: 16894"

My least favorite thing is the location of the pickup switch, but hey you can’t agree with Brian on everything. I’ll get used to it.[/QUOTE]

You could always drill a hole at the usual PUP selector spot and move it. It’d be like the opposite of the earlier Hot Rods he played and moved.

3D9D431E-8D6D-46BF-9038-979803D654F3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats on your Hot Rod. Beautiful instrument.

Love my big bodied Hot Rod. It's simple and can just scream. 20181211_112503.jpg

Waxhead, JC higgy, Trash Kidd and 5 others like this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It is. Then they scrape it off.

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks nice, eventually all the binding will turn yellow anyway. I would keep it.

Bertotti likes this.
  19. RustyShackleford

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
    Decided to keep it.

I’m liking the Setzer pickups. Much different than the HS filtertrons. The hot rod compliments the falcon nicely.

Big fan of the neck profile.

G5422T, Merc and RG7X like this.
  20. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Hope it gives you years of enjoyment

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice