New Setzer Hot Rod Day

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RustyShackleford, Jan 5, 2019.

1. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Electromatic

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
    I snagged a 6120SH from the adorama sale.
    My 6120 hot rod arrived about 30 minutes ago. The 2 tone black looks great. The top is nicer than I expected. Absolutely factory sealed in the Gretsch box packed inside a larger adorama box.
    [​IMG]

The not so great news is that there is some splotchy yellowing on the binding, both neck and body. Quite a bit in fact, where I’d say more is yellowed than bright white. Not the easiest to photograph in the lighting I have but you can see it clear as day in person. You can see it below, those aren’t shadows making parts of the binding yellowed in the waist, that’s actually what looks like on the majority of the binding with bright white sections here and there like you see on the top of the bout. Not sure how I’m going to handle this one.
    [​IMG]

Plays and sounds great. Feels quite a bit smaller strapped on than my silver falcon. The rosewood bridge base is darker than the pics show.

2. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    Almost looks like the side color was sprayed over the binding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc likes this.
  3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Not sure about Gretsch, but i’ve saw videos of Gibson and they spray over the binding and then peel the paint off with a razor

Philtertronic likes this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Beautiful!! Congrats:cool:

5. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    That is a beaut! I hope you can enjoy it

6. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    Awesome to see another new Hot Rod! Congrats!

7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful guitar

8. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Very nice. I like these. It's the simplicity that appeals to me. Just one knob to turn and I recommend fully clockwise. Some people call this 11

9. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Love the two tone black, congrats

10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Return it and get another. Hot Rods are consistently good, and that issue is gonna bug you I can already tell. I'd just send it back and have em ship out another.

12. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Very nice flame. Gretsch has been doing a great job in that department.

I would reach out to Adorama about it if you think the binding thing might bother even the slightest. If it does you may never be entirely happy with it each time you pick it up. I would imagine they’ll replace it and you come up on top. Let us know how it goes.

Telechamp and TSims1 like this.
  13. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Vert, very nice. Enjoy her.

14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats, yea, call adorama but you may only be able to return, not exchange, as I think they have very limited stock.

15. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    I have 2 Hot Rods both with factory blemishes. Both of the stores I bought them from to would not exchange and when I contacted Gretsch I was told to go to an authorized repair center which was GC for me. The guy there said it's just cosmetic and wouldn't be covered under Gretsch's warranty. It bothers me sometimes but most of the time I don't even remember it's there.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wouldn't let the yellowing bother me. Set it out leave some sun on it and perhaps it will all yellow. Who knows. I never was a fan of aged binding until my pickguard on my Strat yellowed and doggone if it doesn't rock the color really well. Sadly I do not know if this binding will age the pickup covers and the knobs on the same Strat have not yellowed yet and are still bright white no signs of ever yellowing.

Could you email Gretsch and ask them about it?

17. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t know it it would yellow the same if the blemish is indeed a result from the stain on the sides. But maybe it would be less noticeable.

18. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    To me it just looks like yellowing which my 2015 Hot Rod shows exactly like the pic.

19. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Electromatic

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends
    Thanks everyone. I have reached out to Adorama so we’ll see what the options are. I’m guessing it will be a return or nothing as the stock on the black ones is out. I am willing to live with it should that be my last option. My guitars get played and other than my 000-28 they don’t get babied. Still, goes counter to my previous experience with new prolines.

It is still kind of freaking me out how much smaller it feels than my silver falcon.

I haven’t come to a consensus on the Setzer pups yet. Im digging some aspects about them but my ear is so used to the HS filtertrons.

T Bone and RG7X like this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron