New Setzer 6120 Models

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YourBlueRoom, Jul 18, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Now there are 3 of us that will be looking for that deal:(;)

MKunie, Merc and not_man_davo like this.
  2. AlexO

AlexO Electromatic

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester
    The blue is awesome. I was hoping it would come out since I saw Setzer holding it on the cover of a guitar magazine a month or so again.

I'm intrigued by the V neck profile as I struggle with most U gretsch profiles.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sh4rkbyt3 and Merc like this.
  3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    That 59 Smoke is stunning. I love that aged faded orange so much. I have a couple of guitars with locking tuners and they work just fine......but then so do all the others of you put the strings on right. I wish these didnt have ‘em. I know Brian likes them and its his signature model but its the one element that seems anachronistic and less aesthetically elegant.

built2drag1985 likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m starting to believe 100% it really is Brians pick on color selection, etc of his guitar line aside from maybe a suggestion. Good for him to be more daring and go with what he likes. I just don’t see the higher ups telling him to do a Magenta as it may not be a huge seller. I’m on the like wagon for it.

I wonder how the Harbor Blue used price will go over time now that it’s been dropped. I thought it had more fans but no one seems to be talking about.

I’m not sure if Brian was recently on more than one cover. But the one that I saw had his original blue Hot Rod color from around 2000 without the blue burst. It did look great.

I love me a soft V.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  5. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I loved the 2015 Hot Rod lineup and my roman reds are the best guitars I've owned. These definitely seem to be in the line with the series before as far as color / style. None of these new colors grab me enough to want to buy but I dig it.

Merc likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IMO, nothing better than that Vintage V neck profile. So comfortable and my favorite.

audept and Merc like this.
  7. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Pictures of the Smoke from Namm...

upload_2019-7-20_12-56-24.jpeg

upload_2019-7-20_12-56-45.jpeg

upload_2019-7-20_12-57-6.jpeg

Lionpotato, MKunie, Merc and 4 others like this.
  8. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
  9. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I played the Smoke and the Black and here are my thoughts (for reference I've owned and played a lot of Setzer model 6120s, both pre FMIC and current and have also owned a 59LTV and a few other pro line models)

Smoke:
    I wasn't really blown away by the Smoke. The neck has a nice shape to it but the thickness doesn't increase as you move up the neck (some may like that but I don't). It was comparable in thickness to some pre-fmic Setzer models I've owned that were no more than .90" at the 9th fret. I honestly forgot to observe the compound radius and certainly didn't notice it while I was playing - a straight 9.5" is fine for me. The rolled fingerboard edges were barely noticeable and kind of a let down however I'm sure it will vary from guitar to guitar. The satin finish was kind of cool but I wouldn't say the shade of Orange was really 'smokier' or any cooler looking than an SSLVO or 59LTV. I'm sure it would age very nicely though and start to look really vintage after a couple years playing on it. The master volume is indeed a bit lower than standard but maybe less so than the website pictures. The 2.5" body depth is what it is - I'm used to 2.75" so that's what I prefer. I had the Ray Butts pickups in a 6120 and they are wonderful but dammit why did they use chrome covers?! Not only do they look way too shiny for the vintage finish and appeal but they won't develop a natural patina along with the rest of the guitar - they should have used nickel. I think the rest of the hardware might be chrome too.The tuning machines felt wonderful but a vintage style button would have looked better. Ultimately this is a really nice guitar with some cool features but its no better or worse than any other pro line 6120 model - just different.

Black:
    Not much to say about this one except that the neck was on the fuller, thicker side like my 2013 SSLVO which was .83" at the first fret and .93" at the 9th fret. The edges felt more noticeably rolled and the width at the nut and in first position was definitely narrower than a lot of pro line 6120s I've played - again I think this will vary a bit from guitar to guitar. I loved the neck on this one.

Hot Rods:
    I didn't play the hot rods since I'm not really into them but I was surprised to see they had rosewood fretboards. I know the first generation Hot Rods had rosewood but if I'm not mistaken Gen 2 and Gen 3 Hot Rods had ebony.

10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida

Thanks for the review and pictures.

T Bone and YourBlueRoom like this.
  11. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama

12. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was surprised to see the rosewood too

13. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    EBC96D92-5F71-4726-A51C-2844BC75077F.jpeg These just make me glad that I got an SSLVO and purple Hot Rod when I did (both 2004).

14. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Well, I ordered one on Friday! I'm pretty convinced Setzer was using one of the Candy Magenta Hot Rods on the recent Stray Cats tour for 'Misirlou' and 'Sexy & 17' - it just looks amazing on stage. The colour really pops and I think it suits the modern rockabilly theme perfectly. Sure, it's not traditional, but I'm not a traditional player. I'm more than certain I'll have to explain why I'm playing a 'pink' guitar a few times but it's worth it.

I can't wait for it to arrive next week!

The '59 smoke looks nice, but it just looks like every other orange Gretsch ever... I like that the new Hot Rods are something a bit different :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Lionpotato, Merc, T Bone and 2 others like this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I can vouch for the 3rd Generation Hot Rods having Ebony boards. I have one from 2017 (bought Christmas 2018) in Antifreeze Green Sparkle (looks like the same color has been retained but renamed Extreme Coolant Green Sparkle?). Awesome guitar. Until at least a few days ago, that model was still listed on the site, along with the new one. Just checked, but it's gone now.

Also glad to see the return of the metal badge on the headstock. Sort of wish mine had that. But at least I have one on my Anniversary.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Merc, ZackyDog and YourBlueRoom like this.
  18. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I think they absolutely got the vintage headstock/logo correct on the 59 smoke orange. I like it though its hue is really very similar to my 2005 SSLVO. im a little miffed about the MV placement on the pictures ..some are very close to the edge of the bout which I don't like...some look ok. I have no issues with a 2.5 body. I like seeing Butts in this one . i like the compound radius and v cut Bigsby. As for the new color Hot Rods...nice choices though the green s rob ably my favorite...not crazy about the Magenta all that much...maybe to differentiate it from the older Hot Rods..instead of a headstock plate maybe a standard horseshoe would have been cool.all in all I like all the new guitars .

ZackyDog likes this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    You might like it better, given a more representative, life-like picture, Mike (?)

magenta.jpg

larryb, MikeSchindler and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice