New Scam. FYI

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by swivel, Mar 11, 2019.

1. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    There's a new scam if you sell on Craig's list at all. Happened 3 times to me so far.
    You post an item for sale. You get a text saying they want it, but need to verify that "you are real" to avoid scammers. This usually occurs within an hour of posting which is a bit of a giveaway in the first place. They ask you to answer back and provide a link for you to do so through. I haven't answered any of them , but just tell them to "go away" then block them on my phone.

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    happened to me a few months back . Text message saying they want the item and will give you full price . I have a " guy " in the area tomorrow who can meet you for a pick up . it was the one and only time I used Craigs List

3. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I just don't do craigslist at all. The closest I come to craigslist are random youtube videos about all the bad things about it.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  4. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    its pretty easy to use CL and avoid issues and scams as long as you use your head and have some common sense.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I used to use it a lot for "free" advertising of consignments at the shop. The thing about the scammers is more the frustration and waste of time dealing w/ them than any worry that I'm going to fall for one of them... It was sort of a blessing in disguise when they started charging commercial sellers per ad and pushed me away from them.

6. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Craig’s list for sales I do fairly often. I don’t like it but I do it. I have sold, bicycles, guitars, cars, motorcycles and tools on Craigslist. A simple note by you in your ad requiring a valid phone number in their reply to your ad or you won’t respond weeds out the scammers. Another screening method is making sure the response to your ad identifies the item you are selling and actual questions are asked regarding your item indicating your ad has been read.

I find the problem is not the scammers, using the methods I noted works for that, the problem is the number of flakes you deal with often times resulting in no shows. I’ve become pretty good at sorting out the idiots early and finding a legitimate buyer.

I successfully sold two guitars in the last couple of months on Craigslist.

Merc, rockinforJesus and MotorCentaur like this.
  7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I do the same thing: require a valid phone number. I don’t reply until I get it. Replying thru CL gives them your email. I also state that I will not reply to responses that ask if the item is still available.

radd likes this.
  8. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    I buy and sell on CL too.

If a seller requires a phone number I never even make contact. I already get too many robocalls and don't want to take a chance on getting hit even harder.

If they ask for financing it ends there.

I use actual conversation to weed out the cranks. If they prove to have a functioning brain and a reasonable grasp of the language things seem to go well.

I've done many transactions and never had a bad one. I even bought a Gretsch there!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There have been far too many scams and outright robberies for me to truly trust CL. If you go that route, make sure to meet up in a safe location. Police around here recommend the parking lot at the police station. Don't go alone.

Merc and MotorCentaur like this.
  10. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Clever! Haven’t seen that one yet. I use Craigslist often though so I’ll keep an eye out! Thanks for putting this one in the open

11. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The Seattle police have stated that CL'ers can use their lobbies to conduct transactions.

12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, it's that personal connection you need. I usually make sure we communicate on the phone before meeting. You can tell a lot about a person over the phone. IE, scammers don't want to talk or if they do, they act really weird.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    More than a couple of people have been murdered here over a cell phone sale.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Just got a real sketchy reply on the camper I was excited to go check out from Craigslist. That bait just doesn't smell right so I'll try to keep myself alive on this side of the tracks...pass.

15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've sold a lot on Craig's List. Yes there are scammers and idiots but you just have to weed through them and you will find a buyer or seller.
    I've gotten some good deals there. I've sold cars, guitars, amps, pedals, mixers and other things there. Just keep an eye open and you'll be okay.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  16. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I've never sold on CL and probably never will but I've never had any troubles buying things. I met "my guitar guy" through CL and couldn't be happier.

If naughty language doesn't bother you, here's a guy who allegedly messes with people on CL for laughs. I have to admit I find it hilarious. Wrong, but hilarious. Some of his posts are better than others. It hasn't been updated in a long time (shrug)
    http://dontevenreply.com

MotorCentaur likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice