New pickups. Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by built2drag1985, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks for that info! Those T-Armonds are super sharp.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I love mine. It booms! Superb clarity. Hard for me to make it sound muddy even if I tried. ALMOST sounds like a tele neck pickup on steroids.

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Between what 2 sets?

TV Jones make many different types of filtertrons - my favs are Classic/Classic Plus and Setzer sig's

built2drag1985 likes this.
  4. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Not to thread hijack... Dude, what did you use to dull the black paint on the bigsby?....
    Digging the little bits of customization, any links on the G brand Decal and Longhorn on the headstock?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This is an old bigsby I had on another guitar that i swapped the hinge for a b60 to put on this guitar without drilling new holes. It came to me dulled like this, so i couldn’t tell you how it was done. I can tell you that if it was sanded, whomever is responsible did a great job cuz there’s no marks.
    I got the G Brand decal on reverb.com, and the steer’s head on etsy. I also just got the decal on the pickguard off a seller on etsy.
    I’m waiting on my custom sign post logo to put on there too.
    After that, the decorating is done... i think.

CaseyJames likes this.
  6. built2drag1985

built2drag1985 Gretschie

Feb 13, 2012
    North Dakota
    The 2 sets i mentioned in my OP and the 2 you said you like.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Just curious,If ya liked the tone of yer Black Tops but prefer the look of regular Filters.,how easy is it to swap out the Black Top cover for a regular Filter-Tron cover?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ok let's be clear - there's very little difference between TV Jones Classics, TV Jones Setzers and Gretsch HS Filtertrons. What you prefer is just personal preference in a specific guitar imo.

In a hollow-body I prefer the Classic/Classic Plus combo.
    In a Jet I prefer either Classic/Classic Plus combo or Setzers - the Setzer are just a bit more chunky on the low E, A strings.

HS Filtertrons are almost as great as either in any guitar - they are just a touch darker in tone.

Blacktops are great also being a little less articulate and clear than the above.

Dynasonics - I'm not a big fan of cos they are less versatile than Filtertrons and have significant noise as is typical of single coil pups. For me THE Gretsch tone of choice is with filtertrons and I would not consider mixing the 2 pup styles in any guitar.

P-90s are just way to noisy for me in any guitar.

You need to test out these pups for yourself in several different Gretsch models :)

Yukimajo and built2drag1985 like this.
  10. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    I have 2 Jets. My first one had stock pickups for 3 years but I scored a deal on a set of HS Filter’Trons so I put them in. I liked the stock pickups just fine but was expecting to be impressed with the HS Filter’Trons, but I was initially a bit underwhelmed. They sounded really good but I guess I was expecting “night and day” difference. Fast forward another year and I picked up another Jet with BT Filter’Trons. Now, for the first time, I can honestly A/B the pickups, stock vs HS FTs. Wow, now I can hear it. I’ve decided to keep the pickups stock in the new Jet for a while because they sound really good, just different. Gonna experiment with poles/height and see where it goes but may eventually put TVs in it.

So I said all that to say that until I had 2 Jets in hand, one stock, one not, I wasn’t convinced my upgraded pickups were worth it. But I can say now that they were, without a doubt. I say have the guitar configured the way you want it. It’s more fun that way.

Henry likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Maverick are you talking about Electromatic Pro Jets and not proline 61 series Jets ?
    There's a considerable difference :)

12. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    Electromatics. A 5438T and a 5230T

Henry and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice