New Paypal changes, and what to use?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by swivel, Sep 20, 2019.

1. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Paypal is apparently not going to refund the fees they charged you at their whim now.... So if you sell an expensive guitar and the user decides to return it, I guess you are out the big fee... With almost everything returnable now, for most any reason, this is BS...

"....according to our updated policy, we will not charge a fee to process refunds, but the fees from the original transaction will not be returned. "

There are a lot of new payment methods out their now. My daughters don't even use paypal, they use some other things whose names elude me.
    What's your experience with those other payment processing sites?
    Is it possible to sell on Reverb or Ebay with those payment systems, or credit cards?

RG7X likes this.
  2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    In Canada we can do bank transfers pretty easily, Interac email, but it has always been difficult to send a bank transfer to the U.S.

Bitcoin is not safe for such a thing. There are Bitcoin escrow services, but there are frauds there, too.

And there is Visa Checkout and Apple has something now.

Reverb Payments.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    jarrodtaylor likes this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    As someone who works in software and has had first hand experience behind the scenes at PayPal, please don’t use them. I make it a point to keep my mouth shut about companies I’ve worked with but PayPal is so internally messed up that I feel warning people supersedes my normal boundaries. If PayPal is the only checkout option, I have to *really* want the product to pay that way.

If you run a website and don’t like PayPal, PM me and I’d be happy to help you set up Stripe or something.

And like @Hammerhands said above — don’t use Bitcoin. Speculating is fine and fun and all, but it’s not a stable substitute for real money. But that’s a whole other topic.

Waxhead, Groutsch and RG7X like this.
  4. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Ouch... what the hell is up with the level of greed and excess fees to the individual lately? Maybe the incentive is to keep pumping money into buying new stuff because it's becoming more difficult to sell used. Anyways... thanks for the heads up on that one.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Never had an issue w/ PayPal as an internet buyer or a mostly brick & mortar seller but then again, I don't offer returns, so... I've got no plans to change my current PayPal use personally.

I whole heartedly agree that BitCoin/any type of unregulated, unsecured block chain based crypto-currency seems like the last system I'd want to deal w/ transactions in.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Never had any problems with Paypal when buying,but i never sell anything!

7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I should be clear, I use PP a lot and prefer to use it on line over CC's. That will be ending. But it doesn't matter if you have a return policy or not, they can still stand with the buyer and you'll have to. You've just been lucky.
    I created a return policy for this very reason. Without a policy they will do what they want. With a policy you have at least a bit of control. Like "credit will be given for the original purchase price LESS the actual original freight..." or "A restocking fee of x% will apply"etc.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Is this a new policy for private and business accounts or only for one or the other? Perhaps it is how they are pushing people away from personal accounts to the business ones?

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Cool, yeah to each his/her own ;)

One of the major reasons I avoid selling online in general is the dodgy "I don't like it, so now I'm going to return it" type customers. It's equally as much of a hassle dealing w/ someone demanding a refund on something that was accurately represented on Reverb or eBay regardless of the method of payment so I'd just assume not deal w/ internet/remote buyers in general. I totally realize I'm in the minority here, but I think we'd be in a lot better spot if we all spent less of our discretionary funds online personally, but that is entirely just like my opinion man :)

Sorry for any minor derailment of the topic...

swivel likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Can't you state in your listings that any return for any reason other than Seller defaulting, buyer has to pay restocking fee?

I don't sell stuff, so I have a completely different perspective as a buyer and never had any issues.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, that would actually be good to know.

99% of anything I've sold has been through my business account taking either cash or a card swipe/chip read in person as payment, whereas most my purchasing would happen through my personal account, so that may color my perception of the reliability and pretty equitable nature of my relationship w/ PayPal to date...

Bertotti likes this.
  12. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    if buying from a retailer, use a credit card - as the buyer you have some protection. Private transaction, I 'd rather send a check(yeah, they work just fine), seller waits for it to clear, send the goods.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice