New member, soon to be new owner...

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by stevekolt, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:48 AM.

1. stevekolt

stevekolt Electromatic

I've been playing 47 years, and I have my first Gretsch inbound next week. I ordered a G5622T in Vintage Orange. (Currently have a Gibson Custom Shop ES-339, PRS Custom 22, and a Tele and Strat) Really looking forward to this one. Unfortunately our drummer is on vacation next week, so the first time with the band will be 12/9.
    Any advice in general, and more specifically, where/which case can I get for this?
    Thanks!

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome! Congratulations on the new Gretsch. That's a beautiful guitar. Did you pick up one of the $499 models from the Adorama Black Friday sale?

3. stevekolt

stevekolt Electromatic

That's the one!

thunder58 and section2 like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Steve!
    welcome mat 108.jpg

section2 likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome, Steve. That's a fine guitar in every way!

section2 likes this.
  6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Excellent! You got a fantastic deal on a wonderful guitar. I was tempted to pick one up myself.

The pickups on this guitar are really special. They're SuperHilotrons, which are humbuckers voiced to sound like single-coils. I have a SuperHilotron in the neck position of my 5620T, and I love it. You're lucky that you picked up this guitar when you did: Gretsch recently moved production of the 5622 from Korea to China, and they've replaced the SuperHilotrons with Blacktop Broadtrons, which to my ears are inferior pickups. I believe your guitar will be the Korean model with the SuperHilotrons; I'm pretty sure Adorama put them on such a good sale to close out last year's model.

Some people find that they have issues with tuning stability on these guitars. If yours doesn't want to stay in tune, check that the nut is properly cut and lubed. If you still have problems after that, the most likely culprit is the tension-roller on your Bigsby vibrato. The roller sometimes creates a very steep string break angle at the bridge, which causes the strings to bind. The solution is to replace the tension-roller with a product called Brick's BiggsFix. It reduces the string break angle and rolls more smoothly, preventing the strings from binding. It's made by our fellow forum member, @Setzerhotrod. While you're at it, you can replace the Bigsby spring with a Super Squishy Spring (also made by @Setzerhotrod). With the BiggsFix and the new spring, your Bigsby will stay in tune and feel buttery smooth. I'd recommend the spring even if you don't have tuning problems—it feels much better than the stock Bigsby spring.

Enjoy!

hcsterg likes this.
  7. stevekolt

stevekolt Electromatic

Sounds like a plan. I bookmarked the Biggsfix site Friday after ordering the guitar :)

section2 likes this.
  8. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome to the forum, and the addiction that is Gretsch - they seem to multiply...

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville, and congrats!

10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Willkommen and congrats on your new instrument. Enjoy it.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , can't wait to see the new guitar

12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Welcome to Gretsch=Talk, Steve, and I know you're going to be happy with that 5622. I'm a fan of those Super HiLoTron pickups, too.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy!
    Welcome to the madhouse!
    Been playing for 47 years and just getting around to a Gretsch? Better late than never.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Steve!

Congrats on the new geet sir!

15. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  16. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Welcome to the group Steve. You're late to the Gretsch party but you picked a nice one. Those Super Hi Lo's are good stuff.

section2 likes this.
  17. stevekolt

stevekolt Electromatic

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! Haven't even received my first Gretsch, but I'm already scheming for the second :eek:;)

18. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Welcome aboard the finest forum on the inter web!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice