Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New member saying hello, new Gretsch 5655.

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by drown, Dec 2, 2017.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk drown!

That's a beautiful Double Jet, and having said that, it would be interesting to see it as a natural, although being a chambered basswood body, the grain structure won't be exceptional. Also basswood is a soft wood, so the poly finish would give protection to the wood, while going au-natural would leave the body vulnerable to bumps & bruises.

2. drown

drown Electromatic

Dec 2, 2017
    washington dc
    Thanks it does look lovely. I think this model (if the specs are correct) has a 5 ply maple body with a spruce center block. I chose this model because of the maple instead of the basswood.

3. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Aha, now it's becoming interesting ... so it's not only the Penguin double cut, that has neck dive issues, but the Jet too?

Would be interesting to see the change.

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

My apologies since I have only been a Gretsch convert for a couple of years now, I occasionally miss those things. I searched "Double Jet" for the specs, and didn't use the number designation. What I searched, and what you have are indeed different.

drown likes this.
  5. bubblyah

bubblyah Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2010
    Calgary,Alberta
    I think you got it with the guitar and that shirt won't be hard to find. I mean hard to miss. You might be better of wearing your own closet.lol

drown likes this.
  6. Drdos

Drdos Electromatic

Nov 17, 2017
    Denver
    I like the pickups, but I do have a TV Jones MagnaTron pickup in a Fender Jazzmaster that I'm thinking of switching with the Filter-tron bridge pickup in the 5655. I really like the neck Filter-tron though. I think this is the best cross guitar between a Les Paul(I have 2 Gibby's) and a Fender Tele (I also have 2)... I usually gig through a Quilter Aviator mini 8/1x12 Celestion Creamback cab, or the Ampeg Jet II/R in the pic.
    Here's the G5655CB with Ebony buttons. IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0636.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    LivingMyDream, drown and Henry like this.
  7. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting, and does it affect the head dive positively? I guess the difference isn't huge?

8. Drdos

Drdos Electromatic

Nov 17, 2017
    Denver
    Yeah the head dive is somewhat better (those little metal suckers are pretty heavy, and the ebony buttons weigh next to nothing)but still not 45 degree angle it's somewhere around a 75 degree angle now.:D This guitar is so light that holding it up isn't a problem though.

Aymara likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool. Interesting to hear that the guitar is light. I thought all these earlier electro centerblocks were quite heavy. Mine (5622) certainly is