Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New member saying hello, new Gretsch 5655.

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by drown, Dec 2, 2017.

1. drown

drown Electromatic

Dec 2, 2017
    washington dc
    Hey. I just purchased a used MIK, red, 2013 G5655T-CB Electromatic Center-Block Double Jet on Reverb. Newish guitar player (less than 2 yrs), long time drummer. Strictly a Gibson player until now (SGs, LP Juniors ) if you frequent ESG, I'm active there. I've been living in China last two years but returning to the US East Coast in early 2018.

I'd been wanting a semi-hollow body guitar and debated between a Gretsch or a Rickenbacker. Well in the end, like many ACDC fans I was affected by MY's passing and I made an offer on this guitar and it was accepted so....here I am. I debated getting an Eastwood MY replica but in the end wanted a real Gretsch that I can modify.

My first question which I have not been able to determine from looking at the 2013 Gretsch catalog is what kind of pickups are in this guitar. This model is not even included in the catalog for some reason.

I have lots of questions about making some tweaks to this guitar. I'm not a Bigsby user, nor will I become one so my first plan is to remove this and go to a stop tail of some kind. Leaning towards putting in a Badass. I've read numerous threads here and elsewhere with recommendations on this and full MY conversions. Some very impressive work done by members of this forum. Personally I'm not looking to create an exact replica or to try and replicate MY's tone exactly. My first step will be to change to the stop tail and I will bring the guitar in to a local luthier to get this installed properly. I'll also remove the pickguard I think. Eventually I'd like to strip the red off as I'm not a huge fan. Most of my other guitars are natural finishes and I want this new guitar to fit in. Who knows, it may yet grow on me.

Anyways, glad to be here and looking forward to advice on this new (to me) instrument.

More pics will come when I have the guitar in hand in a few weeks.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 11.38.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 11.38.40 AM.png

Ando, Gimper, LivingMyDream and 4 others like this.
  2. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Welcome to the forum. Man, that thing's a beauty, I'd leave the color as is. Insofar as your pickups go, I'm sure more members will chime in on those and will offer ideas on the Bigsby swap. I'm not familiar with that model, so I can't really help in that regard. But again, I sure do like the color.

drown likes this.
  3. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Henry and drown like this.
  4. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The only mods, I would do on this guitar is a BiggsFix, a better bridge and TV Jones pickups. And I would never ever remove the Bigsby.

PS: Plus black pickup rings to complete the black/red design, which looks superb.

drown likes this.
  5. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Good to have you aboard the good ship GT

That's a nice guitar and personally love the colour but hey...maybe it'd be good stripped off but it's always a gamble what you're going to find underneath.

If you play standing up, get yourself a nice wide suade strap, it'll stop the head dive or place the strap button lower down.

Fab little guitar, have fun with it

drown likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nice guitar. Mal's Jet was red originally right? You could make yours a red era replica.
    That's not a common guitar you have there.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    drown likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yer already there imo. Screenshot_2017-12-03-10-07-32-1.png

drown and benjwri like this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Willkommen!

drown likes this.
  9. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Speaking from experience...you will love the 5655!!!
    Welcome to GT!!!

drown likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend and congrats

drown likes this.
  11. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome!!
    Yes they look like Super Hilotron pick ups.
    I have these in my 5622 & love them..
    keep the Bigsby. They’re fun ;)

drown likes this.
  12. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to the forum. Nice Jet. I agree with Nigel, you should give the Bigsby a chance.

Trash Kidd and drown like this.
  13. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Electromatic

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Keep it the way it is & play the hell out of it. Welcome!

drown likes this.
  14. drown

drown Electromatic

Dec 2, 2017
    washington dc
    Hi Everyone thanks for the warm welcome and the comments and advice. I finally managed to get my DNS cache cleared and log back in on my laptop to get a response in. I was worried I was going to have to buy a Tele there for a few hours.

I agree on keeping the color for now, that's my plan. Refinishing is a much longer term project and not one I'm convinced I will do. I wasn't aware that the red was uncommon. If I do strip it, I'll find whatever I find under there. I'll be OK with whatever it ends up looking like.

As for other recommendations and comments.

Pickups: I'm looking forward to hearing that bridge Filtertron. I like to use feedback creatively so I hope I can generate some nice squeals and hums out of it.

Neck dive: I have 5 SGs, 'nuff said.

Bridge: @ Aymara any bridge update recommendations from you? What's wrong with the stock bridge? Also I searched for some black pickup rings. I agree it could improve the look. I haven't seen any for sale yet, just gold, clear or chrome.

Bigsby: Thanks for the advice on this. The style of music I play and enjoy makes no use of this add- on. I don't foresee ever using it and I'm fairly sure it will seriously get in my way while playing.

To be honest I was expecting to hear this as I've essentially seen the same response to everyone wanting to remove their Bigsby here which is to say "keep it and get use to it". It's good that you guys are passionate about these. However if this chambered dual cut model was offered without a Bigsby I would of bought that model and we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm not going to take it personally nor should you guys either. I get people like these things but that Bigsby is coming off my guitar one way or another.

In the short term, the easiest and cheapest solution is to either just remove the arm on the darn thing or to replace with one of these Gretsch G Tailpieces. I'm looking at the two chrome G Tailpieces Darren Riley sells. The price difference between the 4.5" and 5" is pretty steep. Wondering if either one of these will fit my 5655 and what the difference might be? Will tuning stability be improved with the longer tailpiece or is it just a question of looks? More metal looks better and cost more I'm guessing? The added weight might help with the neck dive and compensate for the loss of the Bigsby's weight maybe?

I will obviously try it when it comes out of the case though so who knows...

I'll update in a few weeks, seller ships this week and I pick it up January 1st.

Thanks again. In the meantime I'm digging through the archives to learn more about these.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Trash Kidd likes this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT drown!

Cool wee geet that,congrats.

16. Drdos

Drdos Electromatic

Nov 17, 2017
    Denver
    Welcome from another newbee with the same guitar just in Georgia Green!;) The only thing I changed were the tuner buttons from metal to real ebony buttons. The headstock looks even slicker now..
    Gretsch8.jpg

drown likes this.
  17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    And where is the headstock photo? ;)

Henry likes this.
  18. Drdos

Drdos Electromatic

Nov 17, 2017
    Denver
    Gretsch6.jpg
    I have one before I changed them out. Guess I have some pic taking to do tonight.:D I mainly did this for looks and a little neck dive relief..

19. Perry Bryant

Perry Bryant Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2012
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Welcome to the forum. Nice Duo Jet.

drown likes this.
  20. drown

drown Electromatic

Dec 2, 2017
    washington dc
    That's nice. How do you like the pickups? Did you have any other guitar to compare against? What are you playing through?