Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New Member, NGD

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Willie D, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Oldfingers

Oldfingers Gretschie

Nov 2, 2015
    Brainerd, MN
    Welcome to Gretsch-talk!

Willie D likes this.
  2. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I went through a few hollowbody guitars, including a top level Ibanez, Gibson 335 and a couple Taylor’s that cost the same as the Gretsch pro series and none of them did it for me. The Gretsch just ticks all the right boxes, beautiful construction, 12” radius thin neck, great tone and a boat load of charisma.

You picked well

Willie D likes this.
  3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Another victim of the Gretsch virus :D

This video caused my personal infection:

And it's still one of the most versatile Gretsches of all time. But I understand, why someone prefers the sound of a Streamliner.

Willie D likes this.
  4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I understand my friend. Wait until the green bug gets ya!

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy, Willie! Welcome to the asylum!

6. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    That's a cool guitar!

7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, and that's the reason, why the Panther lovers will never understand, why Gretsch discontinued this model ... I guess because of the rosewood fretboard and the new CITES regulation.

Fact is, sometimes you can find a used one pretty cheap and on Reverb are still some brand new white ones for a bargain price.

If I could have only one Gretsch, it would for sure be a Panther.

PS: If you should ever lust for a typical Gretsch sound as an addition to your Streamliner, I'd recommend to examine the Panther more closely. I have strung it with Thomastik Jazz Swing and it sounds sooo woody ;)

Willie D likes this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Tough choices, especially the Ibanez (I like their unique Ibanez-branded Bigsby). Congrats; nice burst.

Willie D likes this.
  9. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Welcome...fine looking Gretsch!!! A lot of people will be looking for that tailpiece to hit the market when you install the trem :D

Willie D likes this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Probably 14 years ago, or so, a fellow in a music store asked me to play an Artcore through an amp for him and that started me in the direction of hollow-bodies. I went to buy an Artcore and ended up with a Gretsch, having played them ever since.

Willie D likes this.
  11. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    I am still loving this guitar.

With the Streamliners, Gretsch are definitely taking aim at the folks buying up Epi and Ibanez hollow and semi-hollows. I would guess that's why they developed Broad'Trons, so they can fit sonically with other guitars in that market (which are mostly loaded with PAFs and P-90s) while bringing a dash of Gretschy twang to the table.

My 2420 is acoustically alive in a way the Artcores I've played aren't. And gorgeous jazzbox tones are very easy to dial in, which is what I was shopping for in the first place. (Maybe it's heresy here, but I'm happy with my Tele for rockabilly.)

I'm still going to dress it up as an Electromatic with G arrow knobs, a proper switch tip, and a wiggle stick.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The Bigsby will only help. :)

13. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    My first electric guitar when I was 13 was a beat-to-hell red Gibson ES-330 with a Bigsby. A stupid 13 year-old kid had no idea that "beat to hell" would soon become more widely known as "vintage" and "expensive." Also, it wasn't a Les Paul. It did have one bum fret (I think the 10th) that I didn't know could be repaired.

Many nice guitars later (mostly Teles and Strats) I decided I wanted something hollow and mid-heavy (to contrast with the others) with a Bigsby again. And I love this one. So I'm almost there.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I've always loved 330s.

15. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]

Mine looked a lot like this except with nickel covers on the dogears.
    Also, rode hard and put away wet.

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That's a beautiful axe. I bet you miss it.

17. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Welcome- I've had my eye on that guitar for a while. Thanks for sharing.

18. DavidLee

DavidLee Synchromatic

Oct 11, 2014
    Des Moines
    Welcome Willie D :cool:

Plan on buying more Gretsch's. It will happen. Trust me it will happen. I am a victim of this place.. :(

:D

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I had an AG 75 with a sunburst for a few years. Nice guitar fit and finish were great sounded great at first but I soon became dissatisfied with it. The typical HB sound just doesn't keep my attention very long. I would up trading it in for 50$ less then I paid for it and brought home a Vox Nighttrain when they first came out. Great move on my part. I was very leary buying my Gretsch. I was worried I would tire of its HB's but so far a couple years in it is still a great sounding guitar.