Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New member and NGD! - G6609TFM Dark Cherry Stain

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by TrampledUnderFoot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    I probably will. It came with D'Addario 10's, but I really don't like the feel of those and swapped to my usual EB slinkies 10s'. I may try some nickel strings, or maybe the new EB Paradigm things, just for kicks.

One is way too few :)

Floo likes this.
  2. Pcampbell

Pcampbell Electromatic

Feb 26, 2017
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I'm adding my voice to the chorus of welcomes, and your guitar is a beauty, for sure.

TrampledUnderFoot likes this.
  3. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Congrats! I think thes are awesome guitars

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    LoL, that drives me nuts too, especially as I am pretty rough on my pickguards. After getting tired of the clacking and re-tightening the screws (once a week), I started using those stickies you put on the bottom of furniture on the back of the pickguard to end the clack, and made a washer out of mousepad for the bracket screw. I haven't had to retighten in months now.

Enjoy your beautiful guitar!

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Congrats on the new guitar and welcome to G-T!

7. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    I used a tiny footpad meant for a stomp box. I had to trim it down with a razor blade though. The nut under the bracket hasn't come loose yet, thankfully. But I may have to get creative with that one too if it happens.

Henry likes this.
  8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You hate the feel of XLs and choose Slinkies instead? I find their feel even worse, like a handbrake for my fingers ;)

On my Panther I play Thomastik Jazz Swing flatwounds for a woody vintage tone with good overtones, on the Falcon I needed to tame the brightness a bit and use Gibson Vintage Reissue roundcores, pure nickel with hex core, that avoid to loose overdrive bite, which happens with round cores. On the Penguin I think I'll first try my beloved Gibson Brite Wires, because the Penguin already has a warmer tone. The GBW are similar to XL, but with better feel, life time and more overtones.

All good things count 3, as we say in Germany ;) ... so I have the three Gretsch animals now.

9. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    IDK what it is about them, but they just don't feel right to me. It's not a tension thing, but more of how the strings actually feel I guess.

10. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I think, I know, what you mean ... some strings just feel stump / blunt to me. That's why I call them "finger handbrake" ;)

11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .....I too have " Bigsbyitis " ( can't play a guitar without one )

Welcome to the forum friend . I really like the look of that LesTrem . Enjoy and rock on .................

12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum!

13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Welcome aboard and love the trem!!!

14. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    Thanks!

For those who haven't tried the Les Trem, get one! Might have to pick another up for one of my Kauer's.

15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I already thought, if I want one for my Les Paul.

16. TrampledUnderFoot

Apr 20, 2017
    PDX
    Well, you wouldn't have to drill any holes so you have no excuses! ;)

I tried a Vibramate briefly on my Daylighter but the break angle was much much too shallow and the low E would slip off the saddle frequently so I had to drill it. Wouldn't have to do that with the LT.

17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yep, it's not a one way ticket and it's easy to return to the original, if I shouldn't like it. Maybe later ... currently I enjoy my Penguin ;)

18. Spidey

Spidey Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    I just happen to see the PDX and had to say - a few months late - welcome to Gratsch-talk fellow Portlander! Man, that wood is gorgeous. I was after one of those so badly a while back, but someone else bought the one I was looking at. I went with the orange and it had way more wood grain than I expected so I fell in love. Yours is a beauty.

19. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . I too love a Bigsby . I have what's called " Bigsbyitis " ( can't play a guitar without one ) :p

20. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    We're glad you have joined us!

21. guto

guto Electromatic

Oct 24, 2011
    Brasil
    Beautifull guitar! Congrats, and by the way i have a duo jet , 62 reissue, its a joy to play, if you want one, try one of them its light and sounds like a well tuned piano, chordwise...cheers!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017