New Juice Box Day

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by mandobandit, Sep 8, 2019.

1. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    title says it
    JC from Tubular Mods went above reasonable and got my attenuator shipped before Dorian landed.
    I received it Friday, I've not been able to play at much volume, but at bedroom whisper levels I'm very pleased.
    This evening was able to turn up my new 65 DRRI to 5 and the juice box around 10:00 and I'm just blown away.
    This must be real tube breakup, this is so much more legitimate sounding than the Blackstar this rig replaced, at least to my ears.
    Granted I have considerably more money in this rig, but the 10% power scaling, multiple channels / voices seemed good but as time went on there was something very artificial about it.
    I'm back in the electric world for 5 years now after decades in the bluegrass, folk arena, so I'm new to much of what is available today, I'm really happy with my Gretsch guitars and now the Fender Deluxe.
    Looking to tame your non master volume tube amp, from my limited experience the Tubular Mods Juice Box is well worth a look IMG_4923.jpg IMG_4924.jpg

Trash Kidd, thunder58, Merc and 3 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  3. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    What's the difference between this and attenuators that cost hundreds of dollars?

4. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    No idea other than $115.00 and up :D
    This is new to me so can’t speak with any authority.
    This was recommended by a member whom has the same DRRI and was happy with outcome

5. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I hate to ask ( but I never did in the past either ) but what does an Attenuator actually do ? ( laymens terms please )

6. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I understand enough to be dangerous so I’m going to wait on explanation from a seasoned veteran.

7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    As I understand it, an attenuator lowers your amp's power output. It reduces the overall volume so you can play it at high-gain settings and push it into break-up territory without blowing out your eardrums.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Quiet_Please_Attenuators_and_Their_Many_Uses

8. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    @thunder58 , like section2 said, you can turn your valve/tube-amp up to the desired amount of breakup (even pushing the poweramp, which sounds different from preamp distortion) and reduce volume to reasonable levels. Most tend to sound a bit harsh at their lowest settings, but you can easily make a Blackface sing without killing your bandmates (or your bandmates killing you).

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  9. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny

section2 and Floo like this.
  10. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Double thanks
    That’s how I was understanding

Floo likes this.
  11. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Ond addition: they are sitting between the poweramp and speakers and (more or less) turn some of the power that usually drives the speakers into heat.

section2 and wabash slim like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The power that the amp produces MUST be used, either by the speaker, or, by the attenuator, producing heat. Years ago, there was a way to attenuate amps by using an automotive light bulb. I don't know how well it worked, tho the lack of info on it should tell you something.

section2 and Floo like this.
  13. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Right, valve/tube poweramps need to be connected to some kind of resistance, a speaker or a resistor. Otherwise they will release the magic smoke and stop working :(
    The thing I'm using has three big fat resistors, a load-pot and a bulb that shows how hard the attenuator is working. A nice little device that lets me use the Vibroverb turned up to 5 or 6 :)

mandobandit and section2 like this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

Which is why, unlike most pedals, this one has ventilation holes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice