New Inevitable Amp Day :)

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've been fairly certain at some point I'd wind up w/ one of these since they were announced, and managed to last several test drives through a Marshall SV212 cab after encountering one in the flesh for the first time a few months ago before it actually happened. Today would indeed be the day it came home w/ me though :D:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Credit for a lot of the span of my ability to not buy it goes to already having an '84 4210 combo that I really liked. I probably won't get to do any side by side A/B ing until the weekend, but on more long term memory I think the only battle it takes over this head is the nice clean channel on it for me at this point. The SC20H has a great dynamic feel & never seems to fizz out. Seems to have a slightly more open & some how classier voicing to it as well: it still RAWKS!!!, it just sounds a little better doing it to me ;)

I've yet to actually crank one w/ a drummer, but based on my shopmate's SV20H I would never expect to need more volume than it will put out, so far the low power setting seems to provide really great sounds from just above typical TV/conversational volumes through certain permanent hearing damage w/o ear protection after a couple/few songs. I honestly expect this will be significantly louder than the 50W 4210 on full power & I figure this head + the 1966A cab will be a whole lot more portable for me than the 4210 combo (& take up less space around the house).

When it turned out I could use a 15% coupon on it & get 48 month/0% + 5% back in rewards on it it was kind of icing on the cake. I probably should have just paid cash (& most likely would have, even at full price, if it was the only option), but I'll likely go ahead & pay it off in the next few months.

Thanks for taking a look!

2. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Can't be a Pro unless you have one. Now get your Kiss makeup!

3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Congratulations, would love one of these too.

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Congrats Sid :)

A buddy of mine has this so I tested it out a few months ago and loved it.
    He gigs it and it sounds great.

It's real loud even at 5w so is perfect for matching with the Power Station so you can crank it to sweet spot. Here's a good youtube review I found with an aussie guy who does lots of no BS reviews :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats Sid , rock on brother

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That's really sweet, Sid. I'm not a Marshall guy these days but what model is it? I think I need a Marshall in the collection and 20 watts sounds about perfect.

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on your new Marshall, Sid!

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

It's the SC20H or Studio Classic. They also have the SV20H in this line which is the more plexi style amp & more versatile tonally, but doesn't have a master volume & seems to need to be up past earplug levels to access the nice sweet spot. This SC seems like the more exclusively dirty & home friendly of the 2 to me.

Waxhead and Tony65x55 like this.
  9. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Electromatic

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    An excellent choice!! Didn't Rick Partiff from Status Quo play JCM800's?

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes and 1000s more.
    It was basically the voice of rock starting from 1980s.
    Look at the long list of famous users here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_JCM800

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I managed to haul some amps & cabs to/from the music room & storage this afternoon & do some initial A/B ing of this one & the 4210 swapping between the 1966A (w/ Weber 10A125 w/Blue Pup cone & a Heritage Greenback in it) & the Z-Best cab (w/ a Heritage Greenback & Alnico Gold in it). So far I mostly focused on the '80s hardcore type sounds w/ the JJ MM, SG Jr., & Partstang & I might actually be contemplating hanging onto both :oops:
    [​IMG]
    We're into cork sniffing territory as far as the difference in character & tone: I think the SC20H seems brighter & more dynamic overall but the 4210 dirty channel has a bit more raw power & destructive potential to it tonally. Combining them through the 2 cabs produces the sonic equivalent of the smell of napalm in the morning :D Using the clean channel on the 4210 w/ the SC20 for the dirty seems like it would be a really nice combo & the 2 together might be a pretty optimal default sound for the currently defunct hardcore band if we can ever get it back on track.

I pretty strongly prefer the sound & experience skipping any type of drive or boost pedals w/ either which is a fairly rare thing for me.

As I suspected, the SC20 is more or less mopping the floor w/ the 4210 in the volume war, what was unexpected was that it did so on the lower power setting...o_O

The biggest difference I could hear in this testing so far was between the cabs (which I guess shouldn't be surprising). The current 1966 loadout is quite thin for either of the amps w/ these guitars & I'm thinking the Z-Best needs a touch more bite. I'll probably wind up swapping the Weber in the 1966 for the original '80s G12T or a G12H 55Hz I've got stashed & leave the Z-Best as is optimized for the plexi style amps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    Waxhead likes this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    A few new thoughts on this one in the past days I thought I'd share:

I threw together a small time/mod board on one of the PT Nano +s on Saturday w/ the intent of it living in the FX loop. As expected the pedals work wayyyy nicer sitting in the loop than out front for me. Another kind of happy side effect of enabling the loop is it seems to turn down noticably better & lower w/ the loop enabled. It sounds indiscernible to me in tone & is equally silent to having the loop bypassed, it just seems to get me where I can play it at appreciably lower volume when I want to w/o needing to hook up the Power Station :) The boost on the Buffer + on the Nano seems to do a nice job as a lead boost hitting the power tubes rather than the preamp as well.

I also discovered this amp (& the SV20 too) is cathode bias &, based on a fair volume of anecdotes I ran into, seems to get along well w/ a broad variety of power tube types, so quick & easy power tube rolling is doable. As a result, I think I'll finally have somewhere to fire up the New Sensor Mullard EL34s & Gold Lion KT77s I had grabbed years ago to play around w/ in my OR50 but decided to leave awesome enough alone. Still have a pair of Winged C EL34s from my VT22 I could try out as well.

Tonight I swapped the 10A125P in the top slot of the 1960A for the original G12T paired w/ a G12H 55Hz. It's still a bit bright for me w/ either of the JCMs, but I think the later breakup of the ceramic magnets works better for me in here. So far the SC20 has sounded best through my GVT112EW w/ a Swamp Thang in it so maybe I'll give one of those a spin in place of the G12H. I'll probably try the other original G12T in there first though, I remember this cab sounding nicely balanced & pretty great w/ just about anything w/ the original speakers...

13. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Electromatic

Tuesday
    Earth
    If I had that, I would plug it into my Two Notes Torpedo Live cab emulator, select a vintage Marshall 4x12 and crank the JCM letting the Torpedo take the load and get that Marshall cab pushing air voiced 80s thrash metal tone that everyone from Metallica to Slayer uses. I believe the tone is tightened with a Boss SD-1 in the front used a boost only and that's about it. I just find that using attenuation means you don't get the cab's full contribution to that cranked tone which I why I prefer hardware emulation for the cab instead. Obviously a good preference is a real 4x12 Marshall cab to match if you can play it cranked.

As a side note, I actually don't know how a Gretsch will sound through all those settings. Maybe a little too bright and twangy?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice