New Gretsch Model video, Joe Carducci

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by T Bone, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I think so too, Frankie.

candy blue.jpg

2. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I'm a pink sorta guy. I have pink shirts, pinks shoes, pink socks, heck even my road bike is mint green with pink and white accents on it! I'm a child of the 80s, so pink was always cool with me. This magenta though? I'm feelin a bit wobbly when I see it kinda like I stood up too fast. I think it's actually the PERFECT color for a guitar called a "Hot Rod".

I'm really digging the blue burst as well. The "official images" left me cold, as Photoshop mock ups nearly always do, but the live vide of it looks incredible.

T Bone, Merc and larryb like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have a solid background in Graphic design. None more fun then discussing colour interpretation with clients. :)

I have noticed for a few years the pics on the Gretsch website are off. I wonder if that’s a conscious decision. Maybe they don’t want that photoshopped super model type effect but a fair representation of what the guitar actually looks like and rather leave it a bit flat? I dunno...it’s puzzling.

blueruins and T Bone like this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Yes it is the perfect HR color:cool:

T Bone likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    It's really interesting to me how a new color Gretsch can give me/us G.A.S..

[​IMG]

j.s.c, Bertotti, MTurner and 3 others like this.
  6. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Hee hee, I love that magenta too...GMTA?

Merc, T Bone and larryb like this.
  7. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Well if your going to go there... "magenta" is a color used in the subtractive color model used in printing (along with cyan, yellow and black). You can definitely screen it back to produce a lighter shade of pink. But typically it's not used by itself, but in conjunction with those other colors to create 1000's of color variations to the human eye. I've been in printing for 30 years, and deal with it daily. Don't get me wrong... nothing wrong with a pink guitar, I'm just saying they could have come up with a better color moniker than "magenta". The reason this guitar looks cool (to me) is that it has a candy-apple or metalicy finish in addition to the color. That's what makes something different than just plain old "magenta". Just seems like they could have been more creative with the branding. I'm thinking "magenta pearl" would have better captured it.

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I agree they could come up with a cooler name. Candy Magenta is very descriptive. But I thought Pearl paints were very different than Candy?

The only pearl and candy paints I’ve owned was a Candy Blue bike and my Cougar is a 2006 Chrysler Brilliant Black Pearl. Both were gorgeous but looked very different. I’m not a painter but I know they do different stuff for both paints.

T Bone likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My background is Graphic design. I've had 25 years of dealings with print guys. I retired. :)

I suspect they might have used "real" magenta and used a metallic undercoat to get that candy effect but I'm not a spray painter.

Merc and T Bone like this.
  10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

You are correct in that pearl and candy paints are two different things. This one definitely is not pearl.

Merc likes this.
  11. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I retired after 37 years as a graphic designer. The discipline of the business never leaves. Even at 12 years since retiring, I put a critical eye on all graphic design things, especially product brochures and advertising, and double especially for products I love, like Gretsch guitars.

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  12. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I agree... this guitar is not a "pearl" finish. I guess as long as they use the "candy" prefix it works for me. I just didn't like the magenta all by itself... too dull for such a dynamic guitar finish!

T Bone likes this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I like the Steve Wariner model, seems to be a gorgeous instrument. And the „imperial stain“ finish of the Electro got something special...

I‘ll never get why there are so many different Setzer signatures. Booooring.
    They should build a signature model for me and I bet this one would be a super seller due to it‘s specs (and not because of me)...;)

T Bone likes this.
  14. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Well, on the Setzer collection. He did sort of nearly single handedly revive the brand, and has perhaps revitalized it several times. And of course of the several actual models, many come in numerous colors which make them seem even more. And WTH, they sell!

radd and ZackyDog like this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yes I know and that’s all true, but so many models since, hmmm, 20 years? I really like his playin‘, I love a lot of his songs but I‘m not that obsessed with him. Why not an official Paul Pigat model? Why not finally a simple one-knob master volume, nitro lacquered vintage orange 5420 with stock TVs and US B6 for maybe 1.9k with a case?

MotorCentaur and T Bone like this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    On a sour note,they seem to have dropped the black Phoenix from the Setzer models ,there's no sign of it anywhere on the site.

I'd like to try the Steve Wariner model,looks interesting,Steve is a great picker,been listening to him for a long time,one of my fav's is his No More Mr. Nice Guy album from way back in 96.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I was thinking of selling the Phoenix. But now I dunno, might hang on to it for a while.

JC higgy, T Bone and audept like this.
  18. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

For the longest time I was gassing for a Phoenix. 3 or 4 times almost pulled the trigger. Always wondered if I would be happy without a tone control (a mud switch would have sealed the deal, love them). So then I ended up with The Grintsch, my Antifreeze Green Sparkle Hot Rod...

Still would love a Phoenix. Maybe one will find it's way here some day (so many guitars, so little time).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    JC higgy and Ricochet like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I was the trade show manager for Fujitsu fax. When the Fujitsu logo changed, I sent the new artwork to our exhibit company. I thought it looked perfect against the whitish header, but my boss thought it looked
    too orange when the lights were on it. We always got along fine, and I worked hard for him, but I had to insist that we not change the logo(s) on the booth, because the contractor had used the exact color that was specified.

upload_2019-8-7_16-10-37.png
    @T Bone Sorry for the diversion.

T Bone likes this.
  20. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Really cool new stuff in there. Interesting to see a push-pull pot on a Gretsch. Something about the Smoke and Black Setzer models though, are those master volumes really far to the edge or is it me? [​IMG]

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice