New gretsch model. GAS!!!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Aaron1061, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    AL
    G5665tg limited.

I love it. Anyone have $899? Screenshot_20181107-195751.png

jjudas, MTurner, nickurso and 3 others like this.
  2. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Nice, an Electromatic Junior. I love my Broadkaster Jr - the smaller body is very comfy.

3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Looks like a better version of the white Epiphone Wildkat. Bet that’s not a coincidence.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I just wish there were more models with single coils. Or at least have it as an option.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s a cool, cool guitar.
    Just rob-off an old lady in the park and it is yours...:eek:

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That's a beautiful Gretsch, although I'd have to take some time to get used to the laurel fretboard.

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I gotta say, I’ve played two of this same model now at two different shops. Totally underwhelmed. They felt and played terrible. Felt cheap and wouldn’t stay in tune worth a flip. This is a big pass for me unfortunately.

8. Reebkk

Reebkk Newbie

Dec 30, 2018
    Bangkok
    Really? I didn't quite think the same thing. I might not be the best judge but I would like to think I have a reasonable idea. I own a Brian Setzer Hotrod and whilst the Electormatic is not quite as nice, it's highly comparable. I think the price is a major factor though being as it's less than half the price.

I have to admit the tuning could be an issue. It's got new strings so they are going flat after a bit of shredding, I just assumed they'd settle in after being used for a while. Perhaps that's not the case? If so, perhaps wrapping the string over and under itself at the machine heads will hold them in place?

Anyways, none of the above is the reason I signed up lol. I was actually looking for a bit of advice about this guitar.

It has a laurel fretboard, a point of some debate I gather lol, I'm just wondering if I should be treating it the same as rosewood and using some lemon oil on it? I can't seem to find any solid answer except vague suggestions that it could be cared for the same as rosewood.

What are the thoughts from the connoisseurs? I played for over 2 decades but only recently had the pleasure of owning a Gretsch in the last couple of weeks, now I'm lucky enough to have two ;) wanna make sure I take as good a care as possible with them.

Thanks in advance.

9. Omsok

Omsok Electromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw one at the local gittar store a cpl weeks ago. Pretty looking. Made in China? Didn’t play it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    These were made in South Korea and I suspect they still are. For Gretsch, South Korea produces their midrange $600-$1000 or so. Below that is China and Indonesia; above, Japan.

11. Omsok

Omsok Electromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Like I said, the one I saw at
    My guitar store surprised me to be made in China as a hollow body. Not sure exactly what model number it was, but looked very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Reebkk

Reebkk Newbie

Dec 30, 2018
    Bangkok
    Thought I'd follow up on this as no one left replies. Also posted on the fender forum since they are also getting round wood restrictions using laurel and pau ferro fret boards.

I was asking if it could be treated with lemon oil, mainly cos it looked dry as heck, but not knowing what indian laural looks like I wasn't sure.

Anyways, over time I guess the natural oils from the fingers have given the fret board a much darker and more appealing look. Doesn't feel any different from the Japense made Hot Rod I have.

And how on earth a guitar that good came out of a Chinese factory I'll never know, perhaps I got lucky. But everything is flawless. Licensed Bigsby returns back to pitch without any adjustments being made, and the question raised about possible tuning stability, which I couldn't answer whilst the strings were brand new, turns out to be a non issue. Doesn't hold perfect like the locking Grotohs on the Setzer, but it doesn't matter. It holds tunes just fine. And I live in Bangkok where my guitars are exposed to high humidity, and a wide variation in temperatures with the ac keeping room temp whilst I"m here, but then with it off when I"m out, the temp can rise up to 40c.

On a related topic, Ive had a cheap thai made thai acoustic guitar, which I've taken zero care of since it was left with me in a pretty bad state to begin with. However with all the humidity and temp changes, the neck is still perfect, nothing bowed, one tiny checking marking on the binding of of the neck. Other than that it's withstood the intense heat and humidity.

So in short, it seems you can treat laurel fret boards with lemon oil, but the lighter appearance isn't necessarily a sign you need to. And Common Chinese imperfections are non existent on this model, and the thing holds tune like a beaut.

Overall a very impressive guitar for the price. Slightly neck heavy, but nothing the center block can't counter to be played comfortably.

Great guitar, puts other electromatics to shame.

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I believe ya. The first version of the 5655 (a double cut jet) was made in S. Korea.

14. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    These are made in China. I think $899 is just a little much for a Chinese made guitar. They look terrific on the Sweetwater website, but I don't get the price point, when you can get Korean built Electromatics for less.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Reebkk!
    welcome mat 113.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice