New Gretsch guy looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by StreamlinerStu, Aug 19, 2017.

1. StreamlinerStu

StreamlinerStu Newbie

Aug 19, 2017
    UK
    Hi guys,

How's it going, i'm new here (and to Gretsch) and wondered if you could give me some advice. If i dug deep enough i could probably find it here, but there's no harm in introducing myself i guess?!

I purchased a G2655T yesterday after looking around for a cheaper guitar, and safe to say I love it.

One issue I'm having is tuning. Keeps going off with the T Bar, like, a whole semi-tone. I don't know what gauge strings it would've come with, but what do you guys recommend in terms of string gauge?

Also do you have any other advice for keeping tune? I've probably played about 2 hours since buying it yesterday and they still won't hold tune at all.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stu

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Tuning issues are usually related to the nut. A good set up and a properly dressed nut should help that. Also lubrication on the string path, wherever the string touches.

3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome.
    Put on an new set of strings (11 set or 10 set). Do not put too many winds on the tuners.
    Dress the nut and lubricate it with some graphite. That should help a lot.

4. StreamlinerStu

StreamlinerStu Newbie

Aug 19, 2017
    UK
    Thanks guys. I will go and buy some 11's i think, seems like they are 9 or 10s on there at the moment. Will let you know how i get on

5. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to the forum. All good suggestions. The Bigsby B50 can be troublesome as well, although many guitarist use them.

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Stu!

Whenever there is a tuning stability problem, you should look to the nut first. It's very common with a new guitar to have to make minor adjustments to the cut of the nut. If you are going to go up in string gauge, you'll likely need to have the nut dressed in the new setup anyway.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome aboard!

Others have covered most of your tuning issues. You may want to consider a better bridge as well. Compton or Tru-Arc bridges are highly thought of around here. Bar bridges seem to react well with a Bigsby.

8. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Welcome! And congrats on getting a Streamliner! I have one and I adore it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

gallaghern9 likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Stu,congrats on the new geet!

gallaghern9 likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Stu!

gallaghern9 likes this.
  11. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    Welcome Stu.
    The 2655's come with 10 - 46 on them.
    Just chuck the Bigsby that will eliminate an issue.( he says as he runs and hides).lol.
    They are a nice guitar to play, when they are set up right.
    Enjoy it.
    Terry

12. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Welcome to the forum Stu. I have a 2622 with Bigsby and I tell you what I did: I checked the nut cuts - G string cut is usually too narrow, some thin sand paper can amend that - I now use a drop of lube in the nut and bridge in every string change (Big Bends Nut Sauce works really nice) and I swapped the standard tuners for an inexpensive set of locking tuners (this last would be necessary only if the previous two actions do not solve the problem). I can tell you I now bang that thing at will and my tuning is solid as a rock! Cheers

MarkyMac likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend and enjoy your new Gretsch . Just one small tip : If your using a Bigsby , remember there really not meant for " dive bombing "

14. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Welcome... and congrats on a great guitar (I've had my G2655t for twelve months now)
    Everyone has given great advice here. And I too had the same problem with this exact guitar.
    Good news is.... it settles a bit with age.
    Other things I did which really made a difference:
    1. - Changed up to 011 strings (NOTE: Might need a tech to do a little set up adjusting for new gauge - this is worth it.)
    2. - Used a 'nut sauce' type product... a little bit everywhere the strings touch on every re-string.
    3. - Go easy on the Trem arm. A little 'wobbling' is fine, but if you really jump on it you'll go out of tune for sure.
    Enjoy your great Geet!

PS: And you gotta post a pic... It's sad but we love just looking at them around here!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  15. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Hey "LnL". That's an interesting tip on 'not too many winds on the tuners'
    I've never heard that before. I pride myself on loading 'em up! (Neatly of course)
    Can you please explain?
    Cheers from Mark (Sorry this in not my original post... but I'm sure we're all 'tuned in' here when it comes to 'tuning')

16. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Welcome to the forum !!

17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    When I started playing Bigsby guitars I learned how to lock strings on with one wrap. Here is the technique. I have never looked back and I now do all my guitars this way where possible.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/string-changing.php

Keep the nut slots smooth and lubed with Big Bends Nut Sauce, use this locking wrap and your tuning stability issues will greatly lessen.

Dave-B likes this.
  18. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Back in the olden days when I first started playing, I'd travel miles by bus, train and foot to buy a replacement string.

That started me into the habit of wrapping as many windings as possible onto the tuners. That way, the theory was that I'd always have enough string to start again if something broke.

Interestingly I have read that BB King had the same theory.

Well the theory is faulty, as I've learned over the past fifty-plus years.

I'm now happy winding about two to three times on the tuning posts.

All the action clearly is going to happen between the tuning post and the nut/saddle/bridge.

As a bonus, I've found that tuning stability is better.

Russ

MarkyMac likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Russ is right.
    Putting more windings on the tuner than neccessary is one of the classic reasons for bad tuning-stability.
    The windings are moving when the string is bended.

MarkyMac likes this.
  20. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    As you can tell from the responses, you're problem is a common one but one that can be fixed. I'd bet a properly filed nut with proper string exit angles will solve a good part of the issue you're having. A minimum number (2 or 3) of wraps on the tuning pegs and a little lube will help as well. Personally I prefer roller bridges for Bigsby equipped guitars but that's a personal preference that I find helps me quite a bit. Finally, remember how a Bigsby was intended to be used, more flutter than dive bomb. I understand this can all be disappointing with a brand new guitar but once you have this remedied I'm sure you'll be enjoying your new Gretsch for years.

Welcome to GT. There's lots of help here for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice