New G5420T, pot/pickup/beginner issue?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by faceplant, Jan 10, 2019.

1. faceplant

faceplant Newbie

Jan 10, 2019
    uk
    I bought a beautiful G5420T in orange last weekend and I'm in love with the thing. It's a significant upgrade from an old squier strat I've had and failed to learn to play since my childhood.

I had a question though since I'm a beginner and I can't seem to figure out whether it's supposed to be this way or not. Bear with me and apologies if my explanation is rubbish.

If I have the tone rolled off, the last 1-2mm or so before maximum volume of the master volume pot seems to hit some kind of switch and massively increase the volume for very small travel. It almost sounds like a mini overdrive and there's a very obvious step if I roll the master volume back and forth. But the same thing doesn't appear to happen if I have the tone up past about halfway. Is this some kind of boost or something that I've missed in the documentation? Does my guitar have a dodgy knob? Or is it supposed to be this way?

Cheers!

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Although the increase of volume should not be linear on these type of pots I find this to be strange, too. Never experienced this phenomenon.
    If you don`t like it that way:
    The pots on these guitars are not top-shelf. Since it is not too expensive to change them to better quality ones I would suggest to do it.

benjwri likes this.
  3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I would say 'dodgy pot'!

4. Cheers mate . . .
    . . . and welcome to the forums from another newbie.
    Interesting first post for sure.
    I found this online youtube . . .

Gretsch G5420T Electromatic Hollow Body Tone Review and Demo

5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome! Enjoy that 5420....

6. And this tube at about 3:30 talks about the master tone and master volume -
    and the "treble-bleed" . . . , fwiw - maybe helps troubleshooting.

Good luck mate !

7. faceplant

faceplant Newbie

Jan 10, 2019
    uk
    Thanks guys! I'm loving playing it so far!

I've made a short and very amateur video of the problem as it's difficult to describe.

Just seems slightly odd to me. I can get the shop to replace bits of needs be, just need to know if this is how it usually is or if I'm just crazy!

Naldo likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house faceplant and Jena!

9. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Welcome from a fellow orange 5420 owner. IMHO the wiring loom and pots are the weakest link on an otherwise fine guitar, to me your volume pot clearly has a fault, but hey sounds like a very good excuse to order and fit a higher quality TV jones loom with better pots wired in, and have it fitted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice