New forum member looking for Gretsch recommendation...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by donb1234, Sep 9, 2019.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Howdy Don, good to have you here.

Vintage Selects are very nice. Besides the bracing, they have a nitro finish and TV Jones Classics.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, as noted, there are a few Electros with bigger necks, but the popular G5420, G5422, and G5622 are not among them. They are comfy and D shaped, I agree with that, but they can't qualify to me as chunky or fat. Profile and fretboard width have a lot to do with feel as well, so the actual thickness is not the main factor. Shoulder is important because a one inch to one inch neck (measured at the 1st and 12th frets) as a wide U might be too clubby to get a thumb around, but as a full round C is perfect (for me) and as a V even a one inch/one inch neck still feels skinny to me.

The other thing is taper. Depending on the design, there is no 12th fret thickness to measure, since it's the heel carve. This means many single cut Gretsch guitars taper to a thicker measurement by the 9th fret, where it can be pretty thick.

I'm willing to bet cash money that no current SL, Electro, or Pro has a first fret neck thickness over 0.9", which is what I prefer. Sucks, but I deal with it lol. My SL 2420 is close, a big C with 0.87" or thereabouts.

section2 likes this.
  3. donb1234

donb1234 Electromatic

Sep 8, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I think I've narrowed it down to a white player's edition: https://reverb.com/item/27487875-gr...-thru-bigsby-7-9-pounds-super-clean-condition

• vertical headstock logo
    • smaller thumbnail inlays
    • filtertrons
    Am I correct that the player's edition will have a pinned bridge? Would like to avoid floating bridge intonation issues I've had with previous Gretsch guitars.

I'm contemplating converting to a Cadillac G tailpiece, does anyone know what the current price of one would be, where I could get one and how much of a hassle install might be?

All of that above aside, the only remaining items are to sort out how to install the acoustic piezo.

Graphtec's Ghost system has replacement tuneomatic bridges, the one I used on my Gibson SG was the 4mm post and was a drop in replacement for the USA Gibson.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/p...-gold?id=449456a8-984d-47bc-bc5d-24c181378ae0

Can anyone comment on whether this might be compatible with the bridge base on the Falcon?

There are 6 small thin wires that exit the bottom of the bridge. The preamp could be mounted in the guitar as it's pretty small.

Does anyone have an accurate picture of a Falcon with the bridge pickup removed?

I need to sort out if I can notch the bridge pickup ring to run the bridge piezo wires into the guitar.

I plan to convert the output jack to stereo, and toggle the electric and acoustic/piezo output via push pulls.

Does anyone know what the pot values are for the volumes on a Falcon?

I'm currently thinking of mounting a 9v mount underneath the pickguard.

Is there enough room under the pickguard?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice