New Bridge Day: Took Off the Serpentune

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by G5422T, Feb 12, 2020.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Had a SS Tru-Arc Serpentune on my Phoenix.

Loved what the SS offers for a little "tone shaping." Zero intonation issues, matching 9.5" radius, and I was happy.

Outstanding bridge in every way, and meets all the hype about how nice these are. I would recommend one to anyone wanting this type of bridge.

Why then did I swap it out?

Just me, but I prefer the good old regular bar type bridge for feel. Guess I'm just a creature of habit.

Swapped it out for a Tru-Arc 9.5" ST95 bridge, and now the Phoenix feels right at home with my others. Just feels right.

Same tone characteristics with it being SS, and I was very surprised with the intonation on a pinned base.

With the factory set screws holding the bridge base in place, both E's have near perfect intonation. Luck or whatever, that part worked out.

Bottom line for me, it just feels perfect, and I'm glad that I did this.

20200212_150113.jpg 20200212_114539.jpg 20200212_114521.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    G DynaTron, section2, MKunie and 9 others like this.
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looks good, I have a bar bridge on my Tenny and I do agree that it is the best feeling bridge to play, I palm mute a lot and these are by far the most comfortable bridges.
    Everything else I own have TOM's which I prefer but the bar bridge on my tenny isn't going anywhere.

MKunie and G5422T like this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The bar is so comfortable ,they're my fav of all the bridges!

I really should put more of them on my stuff,but i'm lazy and have too many guit...No ....I'm not gonna say that out loud!

new6659, MKunie and G5422T like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    ....uh, um, selling the Serpentune? :)

G5422T likes this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Already swapped it with Tim at TA. Sorry.

6. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    My 6120-1960 also has a pinned bar bridge and the intonation is excellent. I suspect in my case it could be that the zero fret is eliminating any intonation discrepancies in the nut. I also had a '56 Les Paul Junior with an uncompensated wrapover tailpiece/bridge, and even on that short scale the intonation was fine.

G5422T likes this.
  7. you just can't leave well enough alone, can you ? ha ha ha :D (just teasing, John)

looks good, by the way.

G5422T likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks Brent, guess that you know me and how I'm always twidling around on stuff, even when no need too. Lol

S. Rock likes this.
  9. where'd you find the bar ? I bought one off of ebay for my Caddy Green Duo Jet. it's a lot better than that melita bridge.

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Tim went ahead and swapped with me. Made it easy! Lol

S. Rock likes this.
  11. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I got my TruArc bar (non-Serpentine aluminum) in 2012, for my 2010 5120, and on an un-pinned base. I was used to Fenders and Gibsons with their bridges designed for and needing intonation adjustments. Literally to this day I am surprised that the TruArc bar is intonated perfect up to the 12th, and beyond that I can't tell. Non-pinned and I do use the Bigsby. Last week I had to make a trussrod adjustment thanks to dry air in February Iowa, and she's still intonated after tuning. Amazing. I'm not on that other Gretsch forum, and choosing the TruArc is contrary to the general opinion here (or was at least in 2010-2012), but I sure am glad I went with the TruArc bar over the Serpentine, and the similar Compton.
    Since I made that trussrod adjustment I've been looking around here and on the web, for the latest opinions on TruArcs and Comptons, just to see what's-what nowadays. Everything I found was all 'Serpentine' and nary a mention of 'bar'. Thought maybe I was missing out on something, even though I love what I have, because you never know 'til you try- and I really don't want to spend that kind of $$ if I'm not REALLY in need of a tone/performance upgrade. Glad to hear that you the OP, G5422T, have in a way verified my original bridge upgrade.
    I am curious about stainless as opposed to my aluminum however, but I have fears of 'tinniness' or 'thin' in the sound. I have a nasty habit of EQ-ing too much treble in the amp. Again, not curious enough to switch from what I have now and love!

G5422T likes this.
  12. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    My 6120 de came with a bar bridge and it works just fine.

G5422T likes this.
  13. G DynaTron

G DynaTron Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    France
    I have the same SS on my annie, sounds just fine :)

G5422T likes this.
  14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I started using and liking the Tru-Arcs because of the fretboard radius match.

The different materials ended up just being a bonus, each in their own way.

I had two dyna equipped guitars, and really liked the Aluminum for the extra snap and pop that they had.

For Filters, I like brass or SS. Liked the HS Filters with SS. TV Classics I can go either way.

I just look at adding a bridge like a Tru-Arc as making a good guitar, just a little better.

Part of fine tuning a guitar that I like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice