New B6 Towner system in transit

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by TubeLife, Feb 11, 2020.

1. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    So while the guitar it’s going on is not a Gretsch, the decision to go with a Bigsby B6 Towner system was fully influenced by my Setzer Hot Rod.

The new Big’s will be installed on my 03’ Ibanez AS83 which has had basically every part possible updated/upgraded.

•New unbleached bone nut
    •New Locking Tuners
    •New TonePros bridge
    •New Lollar P90’s. Routed guitar for a middle pup
    •New Wiring harness, new pots with a 6-way Free Way switch.
    •I just tried the Vibramate system but did not like it. It needed way too much force to get the pitch changes vs a very easy touch on my Hot Rod. Also way too much break angle on the strings.

Yes, all of that is worth WAY more than the guitar itself, but all these upgrades were spread out over the course of a few years too. I also did all the work which eliminates paying labor. In the end though, all of these upgrades could be transferred to another guitar but honestly, this thing plays great and stays in tune!

More to come once the B6 Big’s arrives. Here are a few pix

Waiting for surgery
    60F74D48-A51F-4429-A329-635AD79C280E.jpeg

mock up
    64FD2671-6678-4D4F-9813-EC3C3787998A.jpeg

Wiring harness jig
    9CB6A979-0FE2-434E-8F2C-D4F7360119A1.jpeg

Surgery successfully completed
    C1F2DF4D-8E5F-4AA2-BBC5-3857F920DF7D.jpeg

Ready to install, by far the worst part
    EB427537-FBC2-414B-A318-248610668168.jpeg

Finished product
    59C3A8EF-776A-45D9-BC9A-1CB37184BEFE.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Looks good.

TubeLife likes this.
  3. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Thanks Nick!

nickurso likes this.
  4. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    The Towner B6 kit arrived and installed without a hitch!! After stretching out the strings for a while, it stays in tune quite nicely with heavy Bigsby usage. The break angle from the tension bar is not extreme which I prefer. Very happy with the results and now have the start of a Bigsby family:D

I still have to bring it to a luthier because while the new bone nut is pre-slotted, it still needs the slots filed some and I don’t own files. :(

96E4A61E-A9F7-44DA-8113-79F541921C3D.jpeg 86772427-4008-4762-A63B-EC4413945885.jpeg F42E9FF0-7EE0-4B92-8463-C851CB079166.jpeg

5. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Sweet Artcore!!

I’m also guilty of investing more into an Artcore than the guitar is worth on the open market. Mine is an AS73 loaded with Seymour Duncan 50th Anniversary Seth Lover pups and a custom Mojotone wiring harness. Absolutely slays Epi Dots and a lot of other semihollows. I’ve never done a head to head comparison with a real 335 but it’s definitely a keeper. They are really solid platforms for upgrades!

TubeLife likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks great. You’ve got some sweet gear going on too.

TubeLife likes this.
  7. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Nice!! I knew I wasn’t the only one modding these.:D Yours sounds like a beast as well. Best part, there’s no guilt modding vs say a Gibson 335.
    Honestly, when it was stock which was the first few years I owned it, it was just ok. SoSo pickups which weren’t bad, but not great. In fact the guitar as a whole was ok, not great. Now, with all the goodies, I really enjoy playing it, and I play it often.
    The Lollar p90’s mean business, they flat out rip. I just dropped it off to have the new nut filed and a setup. Throwing some TI Bebop Strings on it, excited!

8. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Thanks, appreciate the kind words. It’s a fun man cave no doubt. I wish I had a band to play in again. Hopefully soon.

Merc likes this.
  9. Maybe you should work on my es295 possible b6 install.

TubeLife likes this.
  10. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    :eek:there’s a little more to lose and at risk on your purty es295 than my AS83:D

I was following your thread too. It’s a little more complex than what I was up against purely on the fact that mine has the stud inserts for the tailpiece. Take your time with the decision process and you’ll get there.

Side note, I had the vibramate B7 on there for a day and then returned it. I didn’t like the extreme break angle of the strings and it was tough to get the Bigsby arm movin.
    Best of luck

11. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love what you did with the three dog ears!

Am soon to swap out the (stock) ACH1 and ACH2 pickups on my Ibanez AFS75TD-TQ-12-01 for a pair of these...

hosj2nmcaxqsmk6sfpyf.jpg

DennisC, new6659 and TubeLife like this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    like a champ!! This system works beautifully on my Japan-Gakki Tokai Goldtop

TubeLife likes this.
  13. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Sweet!! Pics when you get er done. Interested in the end products tone. Don’t get me thinkin’,,,,,,The thought of changing the innards of a semi hollow again is brutal. The amount of f’ bombs thrown when I installed the wiring harness :D

14. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Nice!
    The Towner was an effortless install, but more importantly, works like a charm.

Alanqa likes this.
  15. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full disclosure: Will NOT be doing it myself. :eek:

TubeLife likes this.
  16. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    That looks absolutely amazing. Ibanez should copy this design and market it. I am getting a Epiphone Riviera P93 vibe off this.

Great job.

TubeLife likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice job! Where did you get the Dogear covers? They round over nicely with a vintage aesthetic. I can’t stand those squared off modern ones.

TubeLife likes this.
  18. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Thank you! I enjoyed every mod I did to this guitar. I was playing it last night for a while and didn’t have to retune, Bigsby use and all. Love it!

Thanks!! The pickups, covers and shims all came as a package from Lollar pickups. They are mean sounding......:)

Because of the original humbucker pickup routing in the guitar, the squared p90’s wouldn’t fit appropriately so I had to use the covers.

19. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    No, not Soapbars. Dogear covers.
    Modern ones(mostly cheapies) are less rounded on top.

[​IMG]

20. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Gotcha. Either way they were all from Lollar. He sells a nasty good pickup.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice