New-b with a question

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by dlepak59, Jan 13, 2020.

1. dlepak59

dlepak59 Newbie

Jan 13, 2020
    Mass
    First I want to say I've never joined a forum before but couldn't help myself with this one. I just picked up Gretsch 6119 from a family friend who passed away. About a year before he died he asked me change the strings on it so I took it home and had it for a couple of days . I fell in love with it. He told his wife to sell the gretsch once he passed away and told her to ask me first. I bought it along with a 1964 Fender deluxe reverb. Both are in excellent condition and all original except I re coned the speaker on the amp. He told me the Gretsch was a 1964 6119 Tennassean . I have all the documentation from when he bought it 1967. After checking the serial # online that doesn't make sense . The serial # is 8645. This is the number stamped on the head stock and on all documentation. I will not be selling it but I was trying to find out what it might be worth . According to Gretsch it was made in 53. I cant find anything on a 53 6119 anywhere. Was this a mistake? I read they had some misplace serial #s from 1957. I was just wondering anyone could help shine some light on this. Thanks Gretsch.jpg Gretsch doc..jpg Gretsch serial #.jpg Gretsch.jpg Gretsch doc..jpg Gretsch serial #.jpg

JC higgy, shrews824, radd and 2 others like this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    @Wayne Gretschzky

is who you want to ask, click on the link, his name, and send him a message..

great looking guitar you have

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 3:29 PM
  3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Welcome! And congratulations! What a fantastic legacy to have from your friend.

According to Gretsch Pages, the guitar's serial number could indicate that it was made in August 1966. If so, it would have been among the first Gretsches numbered according to the new scheme.

Others here can help you date the guitar by its features. (See comment above.)

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, dlepak59! If you only ever join one forum it should be this one, it's the best!
    welcome mat 117.jpg

5. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    That is a beautiful guitar. I hope you can share any further details. And welcome.

6. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Here's a welcome from Canada and I'm curious to find out about your guitar.

7. kidblast

kidblast Electromatic

Jan 13, 2020
    Central Massachusettes
    That is a sweet looking axe. Appears to be in great condition too. Welcome to the forum. See ya round.

8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    Welcome to the group and that looks to be really nice condition. How's the binding? I'm going with 1966, but yeah wait for Wayne or a few others.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 9:11 AM
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, dlepak59!

What a nice opportunity to have a remembrance of what must have been a very nice neighbor.

I won't weighing in on dating your Tennessee Rose (I have a later model, and yes, they are excellent guitars), since I am still relatively new to Gretsch. I would echo what radd said, and send a personal message to @Wayne Gretschzky

10. dlepak59

dlepak59 Newbie

Jan 13, 2020
    Mass
    Thanks guys he said he bought it in 67 and played it for about a year and had an injury to his hand. It's been sitting in his closet ever since. The Binding is in great shape except on the back of the neck is starting to crack a little. But other than that there's barely a scratch on it small crack in the pickguard the screw is. I'm starting to think it is 66 with the new number scheme like Groutsch said. Thanks for all the welcomes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM
  11. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the forums. This IS the best forum out there!!! Bar none. Congrats on the guitar and amp as well.

12. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome to the forum. That's one gorgeous looking guitar and I expect it's amazing to play. Sorry, I can't shed any light on it for you as I'm new to Gretsch guitars and only have one (at the moment...that may change soon). Enjoy.

13. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Yes... this is an August of 1966 made guitar, the 45th to come off the line that month. This was the first month of the date-coded serial numbering system. She looks to be in great condition. Nice axe!

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT dlepak59!

Gorgeous geet sir!

15. dlepak59

dlepak59 Newbie

Jan 13, 2020
    Mass
    Big thank you to everyone. I think I got to the bottom of it with your help. it is a 1966 which makes sense. Again thanks for all the welcomes and Gretsch knowledge .

calebaaron666 and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice