New amp poll

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 5120mantis, Apr 11, 2019.

5120 Mantis' new amp choice

1. Supro Blues king

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. VoxAC10

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I've got a good selection of fenders but looking for a different flavor for the jet.
    Just seeing wich of the two amps in the poll would be the choice of a collective group before i pull the trigger

MKunie likes this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    An Ampeg Jet

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

For me, I went with the Vox AC10 and I've been very happy that I did. The real question is whether you want the Top Boost circuit that is built into the AC10. It's not selectable, it's simply there.

The Supro Blues Kings (I have no first hand experience), seems to have a warmer tone from what I've seen on youtube.

4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Consider the Ampeg Reverb Rocket.

pmac11 and blueruins like this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Not seeing a poll...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Never heard a Jet through a Supro but they sound good through the whole AC line of Vox amps.

5120mantis likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Can't say either of those amps interest me. Good luck.

Waxhead and 5120mantis like this.
  8. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Brian used a jet and supro on Rockabilliy Riot vol.1

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    DO you know what song? I'd like to take a listen.

10. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    As far as i know he did the whole album that way, maybe Tavo knows for sure.

11. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    20181211_145233.jpg

I've been extremely pleased with my VOX AC10C1VS.

My Gretsches and Tele sound great through it. Don't let the size or the fact that it "only" has a 10" speaker fool you. It has that Vox vibe in spades, at low or higher volumes.

I have no experience with the Supro, and wanted something in the Vox camp of amps.

Best $500 that I've spent on a modern small amp. IMO, one of the best bangs for the buck on the market.

I would do it again without hesitation.

LivingMyDream and 5120mantis like this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I haven't played either so...but I will say I like the look of the Supro. :)
    I find it curious though how Supros are all hyped up at the moment. People have playing their vintage Fenders and Marshalls for decades, no one important was playing vintage Supros... So why this sudden resurgence?

blueruins and 5120mantis like this.
  13. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Well, as a guy who has been in advertising for over 20 years now, it has a TON to do with their current push for presence. The first thing you said is a huge component in that as well. If it LOOKS cool, and I keep seeing them everywhere, then they must be cool!

Supro has done a masterful job getting their products out there, and hyping them at any cost. They all look super cool, and they seem to have a pretty good dealer network as well. A lot of people want things other people don't have, so Fender and Marshal et. al. suffer for having been popular forever. When those "I wanna be different" types see the vintage style and fairly good quality construction from what I've seen, they will jump. Especially if the perceived quality is accented by a large dealer network which will help with any possible issues that may arise. Great strategy and it looks like it's working.

pmac11 and Ricochet like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Makes sense. And I’m willing to admit I was tempted! :)

15. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    The link with Jimmy Page and Hendrix and Supro has always struck me as tenuous. Page has remained silent and mysterious as ever. .. apparently he valued his so much, he gave it to the Hard Rock Cafe after it looked like he'd dropped it in a swimming pool. And Hendrix used one before he was famous and couldn't afford expensive gear.
    Cynical of me, yes! But I do like them, it is a voice that's different from the big name brands and theyve fought hard for their position.

Ricochet, somebodyelseuk and new6659 like this.
  16. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I had the Supro for a day sent it back to Sweetwater
    Went with a new Blackstar Ht 20 Studio
    I already had the Blackstar Ht 40 I leave that at my drummer’s house
    The Supro looks cool seems to be a solid build
    I just knew it was not going to be one for me
    I found it to be a little noisy and the Blackstar new HT Series does clean and dirt very well at a reasonable price point

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    pmac11 likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Supros that Hendrix and Page used are definitely NOT the ones for sale today. The modern ones are decent amps, but the only real connection is the name.

5120mantis likes this.
  18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a Supro Tremo-Verb and it’s awesome. They look cool, but they also sound cool.
    I can’t speak to the blues king because I haven’t played one, but my Tremo-verb is pure love. The tremolo is to die for.
    I’m thinkin’ I may invest in a bigger Supro for my next amp.

5120mantis likes this.
  19. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    The Page thing... he's said in plenty of interviews that he used one on the first Zep album and Albert Lee has also said that he was using one, Page heard it and went out and got one. That said, JP is also known to have used Vox, Orange, Hiwatt etc etc in the studio... pretty much whatever gave the result he wanted.
    The Hendrix thing... totally agree. Same principle as him being associated with Danelectros - there's a photi of him playing one when he was about 12, therefore he was an endorsee.
    Like Wabash Slim says, todays product is just a bramdname on a product... but the same is true of Vox, Danelectro, Mullard, £piphone... it's a long list.

wabash slim likes this.
  20. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    The AC10 will sound good, But maybe the Supro will sound better to you.
    You are the only one that can truly answer that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    5120mantis and G5422T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice