New Amp On The Way Day

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by mbkri, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:07 AM.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Something new coming in two or three days. hurray

I’ve been feeling for a while like bringing a solid body electric home from the studio to play at night after Gibson (my son) and Sherry have gone to sleep. But none of my amps have headphone outputs and I HATE the quality of the sound using Amplitube, IRig and iShred on my phone. And then @audept posted about the Strymon Iridium which i cant afford, but i got to thinking i really would love to have a simple setup at home for late night playing with headphones.
    AA54A812-36FF-4723-A7D7-3BEE2F9A58AD.jpeg 9A51D361-8768-4F6D-B117-97BF59080282.jpeg

So i went to a store today and test drove the new, revamped Yamaha THR10 ll with a fender player telecaster and some reasonable studio headphones and it was pretty great, and a LOT more “live” sounding than when i tried the first generation model several years back.
    1764F355-AA0B-4CF8-84ED-55A2D2D057F1.jpeg The higher gain sounds werent particularly lush, but the clean and mid crunch sound was really crystal clear to my ears.
    So i bought one. I didnt want the shop floor model so its on order.
    Its coming midweek and im excited to hear it with my Blue Mofi headphones and a guitar with a bit more grit in the pickups.
    Anyone else tried this version of the THR yet? It sure is ugly but it sounds sweet.

MKunie, Ricochet, Merc and 2 others like this.
  2. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Electromatic

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    I picked up a used THR10C and I'm very happy with it. Not quite the quality of sound I get from my tube amp, but it's pretty good. BTW, the headphone jack doubles as Line Out, so I've been taking it to open mics where I can plug it directly in to the PA. Much easier than lugging around a 50-pound amp, and since it has batteries I don't have to worry about finding an available outlet.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the new model.

mbkri likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    These look cool. Considered one for road trips and to double as a boombox.

MKunie and mbkri like this.
  4. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I connected my iPhone via Bluetooth in the store and ran through some Foo Fighters songs and it sounded great. Really easy to adjust the guitar/ aux mix and a really clean mp3 signal.
    I bought the nifty carrying case too. I think this thing is going to meet a lot of needs. My studio setup is great and lush and full, and I’m not expecting that in a $300 unit, but this can do a lot of things that you can’t do with a tube amp, a sleeping family and a backache!

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, seems a nice piece of gear.

mbkri likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I never tried it in person but I heard good things about it. Congrats on yout new amp.

MKunie and mbkri like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats on the new amp . If by chance down the road ..... my amp is head phone equipped

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    MKunie, pmac11 and mbkri like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Yesssss. Its here. Hoping for some time alone with my headphones and a jet tonight. 446985D0-11D6-4B52-8781-BD49F7320437.jpeg

9. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Looks good! Have fun (quietly)

mbkri likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    OPEN IT OPEN IT ! !

mbkri likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Interested to read your review after you try it out.

mbkri likes this.
  12. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    i just bought a Vox AC10 AmPlug for the very same reason. It sounds pretty good, but I am betting the Yammie is better! Cool retro looking pice too!

mbkri likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice