new 5422 - is she ok???

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by BrianSelzer, Jan 19, 2020.

1. BrianSelzer

BrianSelzer Electromatic

Jan 19, 2020
    Germany
    Hello Gretsch Forum Members!

I just got a new 5422T in amber and I love it (except for the bridge which is crap). I now noticed that the strings are not aligned at the center of the fretboard (see pics). The low E seems to be further away from the edge of the neck than the high E string. I have not yet noticed any problems in playing but still wonder if this a flaw or by design.
    Klaus

Attached Files:

thunder58 likes this.
  2. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Nothing wrong as long as it is comfortable and does not fall off the fret board and get stuck on the edge of a fret: see @18:30 what happens to Paul Simon on the David Letterman show!

could probably have a new nut slotted and/or adjust the bridge if you are not happy with it.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Assuming those are dead center photos, I don't think thats a nut problem, more like a bridge position issue. You likely have a secured bridge too, so if confirmed by the shop you bought it from, I'd return it for another. No need to deal with that problem by adding more money to it. On the other hand, it won't cost much to float the bridge.

section2, GlenP and Merc like this.
  4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’d take it back and swap it. You just got it. At the very least the strings should line up properly. It looks like the three treble strings don’t line up with the pickup right.

section2 likes this.
  5. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    please gretsch don't start putting out crap guitars like fender and gibson

thunder58 and rob batz like this.
  6. BrianSelzer

BrianSelzer Electromatic

Jan 19, 2020
    Germany
    thank you all, I will contact the shop and probably return it. Btw, this one was built in 2017.

section2, rob batz and GlenP like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Return it. No need to start out that way with a new guitar.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Klaus!

Sorry to see you're having to return the new geet,hope ya get it sorted out sir!

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Klaus!
    German welcome mat.jpg

10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Welcome, hope an exchange is readily done.

11. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    That is a wonderful segment. Paul Simon had and has a wonderful voice. Thanks for the link.

thunder58, ZackyDog and GlenP like this.
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Thanks, Glen. Another "reinforcement" of how great Paul is.

Incidentally, a repair technician returned my newly-fretted G6122-1962 with the same "string-stuck-under-the-fret as Paul Simon's.

thunder58 and GlenP like this.
  13. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Sometimes I play a little heavy handed, rhythm strumming. and on my homebuilt Tele there is no lipstick cover on the neck pickup. On occasion I have gotten the high E string stuck under the edge of the top bobbin plate.

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. BrianSelzer

BrianSelzer Electromatic

Jan 19, 2020
    Germany
    coming back , here's a more zoomed in pic at the necks end. I did measure distances (in the pics) and there is an offset already at the nut. The string center to edge distance ratio between lowE and highE is 1.24 at the nut. At the neck end the situation is worse. Here this ratio is 2.06. Note how offset the pickup screws are from the strings at the lowE side. I wonder what the main problem is here. I guess that the string spacing dictated by the bridge must be wrong and the angle between bridge and strings is causing this? What do you think? Are the PU screws really dead center with the strings on a well built instrument?

upload_2020-1-20_8-2-11.png

15. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Looking at both E strings it does seem there is an alignment issue. It is repairable but if you can exchange the instrument without a lot of fuss you might want to consider it.

Henry likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , glad you're here

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I agree also guys and thank you @GlenP for posting . When I first got my drivers license I had a '72 Volkswagen Beetle with ..( yup ) an 8-track tape player ( I was so cool ) . Had a Paul Simon live 8-track and and still to this day " Lincoln Duncan " is a favorite of mine . Played it while I was typing too ...thanks guys , great memories ;)

ZackyDog and GlenP like this.
  18. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

A new guitar must be perfect.

19. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    It would be much more logical to reposition the bridge than to do a neck reset.
    At any rate this is not acceptable on a new guitar.
    A good tech should reposition the bridge and then it could be sold as refurbished.
    You just want to return it and get a flawless one if you can.

GlenP likes this.
  20. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I agree the tune o matic bridge is garbage, I put space control bridges on my 5122 and 5420 that I got on Amazon for around $20 bucks and I’m pretty happy with them. That bridge would probably take care of your alignment problem as well

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice