New 5420 with funky strap knob problem

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by budglo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    I’ve been having an issue with my stock knob in the upper bout . I went to tighten it down and a few minutes later it was it was loose again. The stud is rock solid in the guitar. I ordered new Gretsch strap locks. The interesting thing is , I thought the knob was stripped, but it is fine with the new stud. The new knob in the old stud is sloppy even though it is a fine thread.

I ended up replacing the whole new assy. Has anyone encountered this problem? Just curious what you found.

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I had the same problem with one of the knobs on my G5620. A dab of Blue LocTite fixed it right up.

3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Those Gretsch strap knobs are kind of a bad design, mine all loosen up when I don't want them to.
    A lot of members change them out and put something better in like Schallers

kjmac, Merc and wabash slim like this.
  4. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I've had 2 sets of Schaller's that the pin has wallowed out the hole that they lock into and to my dismay dropped the guitar right out from under me. I know people swear by them, but be careful.

benjwri and section2 like this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'm a big fan of the Gretsch strap knobs. They're simple and functional, and I think they're beautiful. I've never had a problem with them aside from the one knob that kept loosening on me, and a little Blue LocTite took care of it.

benjwri and gruffydd3 like this.
  6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    This! I love me some LocTite.

Over the years I've used a wide variety of things to keep threaded things from loosening up. A dab of rubber cement, a couple drops of beer (it gets nice and sticky when it dries), various glues, and even bits of tape.

I only use LocTite when I don't expect to have to unscrew whatever it is I'm dealing with very often, and strap knobs are a good example of that.

/Reminds me, I need to go buy a couple straps because I am currently short one and by Friday I will be short two

Attached Files:

section2 likes this.
  7. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    The loctite sounds like a good idea if I’m going to leave them on. Presently I’ve been taking the strap off on the upper bout and screwing it off and on each time I use it. The replacement gretsch knobs seem a little different than the stock ones in that the stock ones are bigger . I’ll see how they work out. If these ones strip out I’ll probably go with Dunlop’s like on my les Paul.

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I don't know your experience with LocTite, but if you use it make sure it's the BLUE (which comes in a red tube....) and not the RED. Red may as well just be epoxy. Or TIG welding, lol.

upload_2019-6-12_10-36-7.png

And you'll only need the tiniest of drops.

section2 likes this.
  9. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    I use the green , blue and red in my profession. The red has to be heated up to remove any bolt. I think it 554. Blue is the industry standard.

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I swap my Gretsch twist strap locks out. One they loosen, that is fixable, the other is my old worn straps can slip off over the knurled knob. I tried Schaller but did not like how long they were and stuck out from the guitar body when the strap was attached. I use the rubber washers with regular strap buttons now. The exception is my Eastman thinline because the strap button location is located on the back of the guitar just below the heal of the neck so I use the Schallers on it.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Had the knob come off on mine as well. Once burned---Straplocks are like insurance.
    Add a jack plate while you're at it.

Merc likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Schaller strap locks are easier anyway. Tap the Schaller button and screw it on the Gretsch stud! You dont even have to redrill the hole!
    [​IMG]

Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Go the van halen route...simple...secure...cheap

14. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    For those not in the know, what is the Van Halen route? BTW, I have not had a problem with the standard Gretsch knobs, though I do check them often as typical manipulations of the guitar can cause them to loosen. I may get some Loctite blue.

Wade

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    What a great idea! I’ve already used the schaller screws, but i kinda wish I had thought of this.

16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Is the Van Halen route like the Zakk Wylde straplock? If so, not on a Gretsch please.

A71C0970-3B46-49C3-AEC8-E33DD816FA9D.jpeg

benjwri likes this.
  17. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I didn’t touch it I swear!

18. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Straplocks are so much more elegant than dog clips and screw eyes.

Gregor and Merc like this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Screw eyes are a bit of an overkill.

Gregor and wabash slim like this.
  20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Great for a steam punk aesthetic, tho.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice