Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New 15 Watt Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So true. But for us bedroom warriors, most of my playing time is alone at low volume.

Robbie likes this.
  2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Did you try one with a Celestion Blue alnico? To me, and many others, that is an essential part of the original/classic/essential VOX sound.

upload_2018-2-16_16-4-4.jpeg

3. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    When I learned amp assembly, it was pretty clear that those preamp tube wires had to be normal to each other as much as possible and certainly a bit farther away. It looks like they just swept those puppies all together like a harness.

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I've heard of this issue but mine is dead quiet. What does it sound like? Is it loud enough to be distressing?

Robbie likes this.
  5. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    How did you have the nous to isolate the problem?

My CDR is doing the exact same thing. Not loud, but very irritating.

Thanks Robbie.

Russ

Robbie likes this.
  6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Absolutely correct, in a live situation you would not hear this. Even playing at home you can't hear it once you start playing. It's not "white noise though". The only reason I'm replacing the amplifier is that I can. My other CDR does not do this. I do want to stress this is not a big deal...to me. But if I can resolve it, why not. I love these amplifiers.

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I’m with you on that.

Some years back, a friend (at the time) had a Twin and if you cranked it all the way there was a little bit of white noise. He thought it needed new tubes, I thought it was better than 90% of the amps I had ever heard.

8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    My other CDR, the first one I bought, is dead quiet as well. This issue does effect a number of them though....apparently.

I'd say this "tick" is loud enough to be annoying, not distressing (if there's much difference). I'd likely be happy to live with it, or fix it myself, if Long & McQuade wasn't so willing to replace the amplifier. I didn't catch it in the store because the tremolo was cutting in and out. I was positive it was a tube and the Sales Rep. told me if it turned out to be more than the tube to let him know and he'd order a new amp for me. There wasn't another one of these amps in the store, or a 12AX7 which on its own doesn't seem right. Anyhow, it wasn't until I got home and replaced the tube that I could hear this. I posted this and the Video because there are varying degrees to this "tick" and it drives some folks crazy. I've seen posts in other Forums where this amp gets slagged off and referred to as "crap" because of this problem. I'm a big proponent of this amplifier and I wanted folks to see this "tick" as it's referred to, is not the end of the world. Sometimes people just feel better knowing what the problem is.

Guess maybe I could take a drive to Toronto and introduce myself to Guy Beresford and see if he'd spend 20 minutes with it.....probably not though. LOL

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The term "nous" and my name are seldom used in the same sentence...thanks, you made my day Russ.

I agree with your choice of words ..... "irritating", that's really all this is. Funny thing though, if I had not had another one of these amplifiers so I could hear the difference I would probably just have ignored it and tried a 5751 or AT in V5 and see if tube with less gain lessened the issue. Again I want to stress, this is not just white noise, these amps are inherently a bit on the noisy side but this is a little beyond that which sounds like the same issue you are experiencing.

To answer your question, while a lot of these issues are tube related, and that's the first place I head FWIW, I've never felt the real problem was the tremolo tube, I always felt it was more to do with the wiring. Wiring/lead dress came to mind because as a kid I would spend a fair number of Saturdays riding around with my Father. He repaired televisions and Hi-Fi's (the kind with tubes) and watched him repair similar "noises" in those old Hi-Fi's by moving particular wires away from each other. After I had this little issue with my CDR I went searching on the internet until I found something that supported what I thought.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    russmack likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    At home, in the Studio or on Stage, our gear has to work for us the way we work, and do what makes us happy.

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I bet he wouldn't, he'd just replace the amp. L&M simply sends the old one back and gets a credit from Fender. Why waste time fixing Fender's problem.

Robbie likes this.
  12. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Right there with you buddy

13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    So here is how this all shook out with my 2nd CDR and the Tremolo issue. The L&M store had two more 68 CDR's on order and were very willing to replace the amplifier for me when they arrived. FWIW that's a bout a 2 hour round trip for me. No biggie but still a couple of hours out of my way if I'm not passing through London ON.
    I have a good Friend in the City where I live that is a Certified Fender Service Tech. (works on his own) and gave it to him to have a look at. Indeed the wire that causes the ticking problem if allowed to get too close to other wires was the problem, but when you moved it away from the other wires the "tick" was still there, albeit improved by about 50% which truthfully made it very livable. There were cold solder issues with that wire as well so he removed the wire and replaced it with a higher grade and much better insulated wire. Problem gone, you can put the new wire/lead next to any other wire you want...no noise/tick. Now this CDR has the same oscillation noise as my other CDR which is nothing you would not expect. While he was in there he cleaned up some other solder joints that he felt could cause issues down the road as well as what he felt were other lead dress concerns. (he is kind of finicky about that stuff and I love it)

So all of this begs the question...should any of this be necessary on a brand new amplifier? Probably no, but truthfully I'm not put off by it. Call it "hand made" product will typically always be a superior product to "mass produced" In this instance, I had the amplifier gone over top to bottom by a Tech I trust and had him check to ensure the bias was where I like it while he was in there. I have him do a once over on any amplifier I buy, new or used (he did it on my 1st CDR) and clean up any issues he feels are potential problems, and there were some solder issues he felt he should address on my 1st CDR..and did. So I look at it like I was going to spend a few bucks to have him give the amplifier a once over anyway and I didn't get charged any extra for 6" of wire and the few minutes he took to fix the specific problem. IMHO I don't see it any different than buying a new guitar and replacing bridges, nuts, machine heads etc. Actually, the amplifier work costs less money.

russmack and Ricochet like this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Sounds like a good resolution to the problem.

Robbie likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Happy to hear the tick has been exterminated. :)

Robbie likes this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    You have the peace of mind in having the amp gone over by someone you trust. By itself, that has a decent price tag. Good on you Robb.

Robbie likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are a few factors in play here. Shear volume, room/venue dynamics, PA system/operator, even the audience and what they're wearing can affect the overall sound. I've heard a lot of music turn to mush; it just gest lost in a big room. The basic shape of the room is hugely important, as is the material the room's made of and the fixtures/furniture.

Robbie likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't feel the same way about amps - unlike a guitar, stuck your finger in the wrong place and you can hurt yourself with an unplugged tube amp. Or so I've been told - I don't go in there. So I expect it to be designed to function; and built as designed. I know that's totally hypocritical considering my forgiving gretsch their crappy bridges.

Anyway, they clearly make make many people, most importantly YOU, and I have other choices so it's all good. Enjoy your new amp!

Robbie likes this.
  19. b80_

b80_ Electromatic

Jun 21, 2018
    Mississippi, USA
    After reading this thread, I now really want to try a 68 CDR!!!!

Lizardkinged likes this.
  20. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    They're great. I've been wanting something with a Fender EQ and the Vox's quick attack (decreased negative feedback loop). Love mine.