Join Gretsch-Talk Today

New 15 Watt Amplifier

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Nooooooooooooo

2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Thanks folks for all of your comments and suggestions. Truth be told, and all kidding aside, this has been a particularly annoying exercise for me. I both love and hate getting new gear, that's why I do it infrequently. I am so fussy (some call it obsessive ) about my gear that I drive myself and everyone around me crazy. For someone that has played/performed as long as I have you would think I'd get over it, but it appears I am not likely to change any time soon. Based on my other CDR it will take me 3 or 4 months to get the new one exactly where I want it.
    FWIW, I love these CDR's because they cover ALL of what I do in my own Band/Shows and 90% of whatever else I'm asked to do. (and I can still carry them comfortably) In medium to larger Venues, I don't require OD pedals and the only other effects I use, Reverb and Tremelo, are on board so all I have on the floor is a tuner. I know I'll be buying a good ABY pedal for large venues and run the two of them together.
    For my fellow Canadians, it's worth pointing out my experience at L&M was fantastic. When I went to make the deal I took my HR Deluxe and my Reverend Manta Ray with me to see what trade would result in the least amount of difference I would have to pay. As it turned out, the trade value on HRDx was almost bang on what I was wanting and they bought my Manta Ray because a young man that worked in the store fell in love with it and wanted to buy it through the store for himself. I had rented the Vox AC15 for a month and only kept it for a week, L&M refunded most of my rental and threw in a 3 pack of strings to say thanks for making the hour drive to deal with them. I'm not sure I could have been treated any better.

Cheers and thanks again.

b80_ likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That Custom Channel is an amazing thing.

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    OK, you have the medium and large venues covered. Want me to bring a sweet little hand-wired blackface Princeton Reverb to the Round-up so you can try the little sweetie out for small rooms? Reverb and trem and 15 watts of yummy.

Nice shout-out for Long and McQuade. They are really a terrific store. Perfect for the beginners, perfect for the pros. If there is anyplace they fall down it's on the ones in the middle. I am always treated well there too.

Glad you re-found your amp, glad you're such a class act! See ya soon.

5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Absolutely....and thanks VERY much. What a nice thing to offer.

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    It would be my pleasure. :)

7. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Ha; I knew you were going to recommend the ac10 so I read down the thread until I got there. I haven't heard much about the Fender Pr Jr. though. Does it have a different character than bigger Fender amps or does it simply sound good for its size?

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The Pro Jr. is sort of a little Hot Rod. To my ears, it sounded like the little brother of a '59 Bassman.

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I think the smaller Bassman thing.......kinda Marshall-y is fairly accurate. Just ROCKIN’ little amps that break up awesome.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Cranked up, they sound like they're ready to blow up, in a cool way. :)

11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    So a quick update. On my newest 68 CDR the Tremolo was cutting in and out when I got it home and played with it for about an hour. No issue in my mind, I was sure it would be a poor 12AX7 Groove Tube in the V5 position and I had ordered all new tubes anyhow. I replaced all the tubes and the amplifier sounds fabulous, including the tremolo, EXCEPT now the tremolo has the infamous "tick", which by the way my first CDR does not have. Beyond this "tick" the amplifier is outstanding, exactly as I expected. I was aware of this tremolo "tick" problem (and fix) from reading up on this amplifier model a year or so ago, it's an easy easy fix but Long & McQuade will provide a replacement amplifier. I offered to fix it myself if they still would honour the Warranty and they want to just swap for a new one which is fine by me. This doesn't put me off on the amplifier, or Fender for that matter, but it is pretty poor QA on their part. FWIW, I factor in all new tubes when I purchase an amplifier. Anyhow, the problem (when it is not a pre-amp tube) is a "lead dress" issue which is known by the factory.
    Anyhow, the reason I've posted this is if there is anyone out there that has this "ticking" issue and has decided just to live with it...check this link out.

wabash slim and Ricochet like this.
  12. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Love that video - lead dress is paramount. Thanks for sharing.

Robbie likes this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    There's a little "tick", but not enough to be noticeable, so I don't worry about it.

Robbie likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That tick would drive me nuts. I can't believe they won't insert a spacer or something to address that.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Just get some tick and flea powder. :)

Robbie likes this.
  16. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I agree, silly, especially when they are aware of the problem. Two minutes or less at the point of manufacture and a couple of wire ties.

18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I'm with you Synchro, if what I had was a little tick it wouldn't bother me either. This one is a little more than that. When I run them together with an ABY I'll use a Tremolo pedal anyhow, but what the heck if they want to swap me for another one, why not.

19. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You're very welcome Stevo. In my experience it isn't often a Video comes along that demonstrates EXACTLY what a problem is. Plus I've read too many stories on other Forums where folks have said "they just learned to live with it" so thought it would be good for them to see what a simple fix this is.

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    A lot of times, what we hear at home is more than drowned out in a gig/band situation.

wabash slim and Robbie like this.